Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Unfinished projects?
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 10:07 AM UTC
Just sitting here and wondered how many unfinished campaign projects were out there.

My list:
Tamiya M3 Stuart (Pacific Campaign)
Airfix Bf 109F (109 Campaign)
Revell Spitfire Mk I ( cannot remember the campaign)
Revell P-51B/C (Mustang Campaign)
Monogram P-38 (Nightstalker Campaign)
Trumpeter Callenger II ( Operation Harrick? Campaign)
Bronco Hotchkiss H39 (Blitzkreig Campaign)
And a couple more that I cannot even remember which campaign that I started them for (T-80U, and a rocket launching t-26/60?)
So these are my sleepers what are yours?

Bob
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 03:49 PM UTC
"..Can't remember the campaign"....LOL...that's bad dude!
Ah...my irons in the fire;
-my own campaign{OTR}- two unfinished trucks and a ribbon to redo since it got changed when the site changed servers or whatever happened.
-my TV and movie vehicle campaign Ecto1a since the decals went totally south on me after applied{never seen decals wrinkle and stay that way after 6 applications of solvaset-uhg!}..need new decals!
-my EOD campaign dozerblade semi tractor.....will be lucky enough to finish that one without the intended trailer on time.
-my non-campaign Jim Flinstone boat-tail rivi lowrider custom...lost my muse on the paint scheme.
-my non-campaign DAF XT super cab..it's around here somewhere.......
-just started a non-campaign 57 caddy eldo bro custom to kick my butt outta my slump...lots of wet sanding to do there after grafting that ferrari top on{but it was worth it!!!}.
-my 2nd entry in the Steampunk campaign...combination of an NX-01 and a blimp...it's halfway there I guess.
-my non-campaign 57 chevy altered wheelbase gasser.{practice for the chevy VS Hemi campaign}
-non-campaign B-61 Mack wrecker and L700 Dodge stakebed trucks too.
...LOL and to think I just posted what would be a good conversion for a few of my 09 Challenger kits- cuda/superbird/roadrunner?
-yeah, about the usual workload! - boB
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 06:09 PM UTC
[quote] my EOD campaign dozerblade semi tractor.....will be lucky enough to finish that one without the intended trailer on time. [quote]

Come on Bob, that build has to be finished. A lot of people are depending on your ability to scavange for supplies and keeping them going, besides there are still (8) months.

Bob
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:18 PM UTC
Hmmm, wonder if I can remember that far back..
Hasegawa 1/32 F-16A started in ’78???
Revell USS Drum (special packaging of Lionfish / Growler) started back in ‘88
AMT 1/48 B-26 started in the mid ‘90’s (currently MIA)
Skywave 1/700 USS Johnston started for ’98 IPMS group build
Hawk 1/72 SBD started in 2001, trying to finish for Hanger Queens Campaign
Airfix 1/72 A4D-1 started in 2002
Tamiya 1/35 M-41 started late 2003
Tamiya 1/35 Ford GPA started in 2005
Tamiya 1/700 HMS Nelson started in 2005 for Dreadnoughts Campaign
Heller 1/72 A-1H started in 2006
Academy 1/72 F-84E started in 2006
Kitech 1/72 F-16C started in 2010, build log somewhere on Aeroscale
Hawk 1/48 P-51D started in 2010 for P-51 Heaven Campaign
Italeri 1/72 PBJ-1D started in 2010 for Anti-Shipping Campaign
And I’ve got at least 3 kits in the stash started by somebody else??

Should I laugh or cry........
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hey! Mark, that AMT B-26 must have been a dog, but it could be the basis for something that came out of "THINGS THAT MAY BE" I think that was the name of the 1936 movie with Raymong Massey. Well anyway every AMT kit that I built ended up as something from a scifi era.

Bob
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 02:55 AM UTC
No I don't have any unfinished business sitting around,I guess I'm obsessive about that.The only way I don't finish is if I get frustrated with the kit and it goes in the garbage,which has probably happened about 6 times over the last 13 years since I started up again.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 05:29 AM UTC
Yes, the AMT (Aurora?) 1/48 B-26 was a dog (with apologies to dogs everywhere).

Got the kit in a raffle back around ’77, moved it from Ft. Worth, to San Antonio, to Houston, to Atlanta where I might have started it in 89-90. Boxed it up, moved to Minneapolis, did a lot of work on it there, 98-2001. Got the fuselage together, with like 3 oz of weight in it. Don’t recall if the fits there were too bad.

Broke off the bombsight three times, found it twice. Added mesh to the carburetor intakes, glued them on, added lots of putty to smooth them in. Glued the nacelles to the wings, lots of learning there, how to glue twisted part together; don’t let superglue dry over night. Added about ¼ a box of Miliput to smooth the joints. Opened up the spokes in the nose wheel and then added plumber’s lead inside the wheel halves for more nose weight.

I think I was in St. Louis when the original carton gave out so I put all the bits into a plastic shoebox. Along the way I decided to detail the engines, it is 1/48, plenty of room for some pipes and wires. As I drilled the holes for the wires, my count came up short at 14; the plane had the wrong engines, 14 cylinder R-1830 instead of the 18 cylinder R-2800, aargh…. I got some engine fronts off the internet, decided they were too nice (and too large?) for this kit.

I’ve seen that shoebox since I got to Seattle, but in the 3 moves since then, it’s gone into hiding.

I still have the decal (that’s right singular). The markings are supposed to be for “Big Hairy Bird” around D-Day. It’s missing the “Big Hairy Bird” text, it’s either missing the eyes or the horn and it has 6 invasion stripes. It’s all on one 6 x 10 sheet as one great big decal, no individual carriers, just cut lines for each set of markings.

Outside of the resin engine fronts, maybe I don’t miss this thing.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Come on Bob, that build has to be finished. A lot of people are depending on your ability to scavange for supplies and keeping them going, besides there are still (8) months.

Bob

I know....I really wanted to build a trailer too after I started the initial build{truck} but I'm lost for ideas.....I did paint the chassis two weeks ago - bad on me for not posting pics. The cab now seems lacking of scariness -lol- seeing all that I've done to the chassis, I'd hate to leave that bare of sorts. Alittle more work on the caddies and I'll stare at the truck cab to get inspired...with what I'm starting to do to the 59 caddy...finishing the cab should be easy.{ideas wise}
VonCuda
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 02:14 PM UTC
OTR...........damn! I completely forgot about that one.

Make ya a deal Mr. Dragon. You give me a ribbon for my unfinished OTR truck and I'll give you a ribbon for your unfinished EOD truck.....

Hermon
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 03:38 PM UTC
@ Mark: that is a book if ever I read one. Nicely put into words a builders journey which has happened to many of us and many feel your pain/loss for keeping the gremlin around when it should have been donated to the land fill long ago I as others have our own torches to bear but, you put into words so much better Mark.

@ Bob: if inspiration is the problem just give the 'CRAZIES" (Damian, Hermon, Justin, Adam, Bob, and Andrew) a call I am sure they will be able to get the juices flowing again.

@ Hermon: if you are handing out ribbons I am line also for that EOD campaign mixed up group.

Bob
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OTR...........damn! I completely forgot about that one.

Make ya a deal Mr. Dragon. You give me a ribbon for my unfinished OTR truck and I'll give you a ribbon for your unfinished EOD truck.....

Hermon

We both have time...aside from the cab seeming bare of nasty stuff{like the chassis has} I feel the area behind the tank rack is void of "something"...just don't know what.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC
Hi all, Glad I am not alone here, Its been hard this year to stay focased on my modeling, work and family matters have taken up so much of my time. It seems every time I get into a project, something comes up. Hopeing for a better modeling year in 2011.

This is where I am at with my modeling projects:

3/4 finished on a Tamiya Horch-will finish it next weekend, I hope !
1/2 finished on my Dragon Panzer IV/G for the "Workhorse Campaiign"
1/2 finished with a Dragon SdKfz 7/1 for the "Targets Shoot back/SP AA Campaign"
Droped out of a Dio Project on TrackPads
Several Figure sets built but not painted yet

Regards, milvehfan