_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How to temporarily attach road wheels
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 03:39 PM UTC
I'm building a Tiger II and using friul tracks. The time has come to test fit the tracks, but the road wheels fit too loosely to stay put. Any tips on how to secure them temporarily? I was thinking white glue or silly putty, but I'm hesitant to use anything that will clog the wheels and throw off their final fit.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 03:44 PM UTC
I was going to suggest white glue or a little dab of super glue. It will hold it in place but will come right off with a careful twist. You should not have any fit problems afterwords.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:50 PM UTC
White glue was my first thought. It will hold and can be wet down and removed.
Another idea is to wrap the axle with tape, try scotch tape it's thin and may not affect later fit.
Another idea is to use tape on the outside. Put the wheel on and take some tape and fold it 90 degrees and put it on the back of the road wheel and across to the hull. Then use scotch tape the outer wheel to the inner where the tracks don't touch.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 01:28 AM UTC
Microscale Liquid Tape would be perfect for this. It's a white glue that stays tacky when 'dry'.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 01:37 AM UTC
I've tried Blu-Tac before but had problems when small bits get stuck way inside. Also tried putting on a small amount of glue, which seemed ok -- but still needed to do some cleaning-up before doing the final mounting. Tried Scotch Tape but can't seem to get the hang of it. What I found effective was this white plumber's tape -- over here its called Teflon Tape, the one used to wrap around pipe threads to get a tight and waterproof fit. Easy to wrap around the axle and get a nice fit when you put the wheel in. Removes easily with neither residue nor cleaning required. Hope this helps. Cheers
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 02:06 AM UTC
Tat,

Your teflon tape suggestion is excellent! Now that's using your noodle!
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 03:35 AM UTC
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to give the white glue a go on a few of the wheels and teflon tape on the others. Need to experiment since this issue is sure to come up over and over again down the road.
 _GOTOTOP