_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hotel Workbench
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
entire network: 825 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 09:44 PM UTC
Hello there an happy Holidays to all!

I was always wondering if it would be possible to establish a workbench in a hotel room. Few days ago I spend a night at a hotel and decided to try it out. Here are a few things I learned.

1. Its not possible to make a full scale built in such enviroment. Think small. Forgett about airbrushing, the noise and smell would make your neighbours complain.

2. Choose a smal subject that can be packet away when it is finished.

3. Prepare your equipment. I have a nice alluminium suitcase which can hold a lot of stuff, but you have always to consider what you realy need for the particullar work you want to do. Its good to have a lock on your stuff since some hotel personell is sometimes realy curious

4. Bring your own small light. This is importent since the most hotels (in Europe atleast) have very weak lights (they would say econnomic ).

5. Do all the filling and sanding in the baathroom, so you dont end up with a mess on the carpett. Its better if you are there only for one night, since the longer you stay, the bigger the mess will bee.

6. Have funn

Beware I mostly do tavell by car so I dont realy know about air travell resrictions on blades and ect.
Here are som pictures from the small exeriment. I built the old Matchbox Humber up to the point of painting in less than 3 hours. The airbrushing was then made back home yesterday.

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:00 PM UTC
Good idea. I've tried it before but wasn't as well prepared as you are.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 - 02:41 AM UTC
I bring a 'travel kit' along when we are away for my daughters swim meets.
Usually I just bring a flat tupperware or Thai take-out container of tools/glue/putty and a basic assembly kit.

Brining your own light is a must, hotel desk lights are the pits

but I am totally stealing the idea of bringing a small cutting board to build on.
USA Today (free hotel paper here in the states) is too visually distracting as a backround.

Trumpeter flak guns build up well in the time I have in hotels waiting for meets.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP