_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
What is a campaign?
troikken
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:05 PM UTC
Can I ask what a campaign is? I am new to this forum and was wondering what a campaign is. Is this where a group of people are building the same model at the same time?
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:14 PM UTC
First off welcome to the site.A campaign is usually a theme that a bunch of builders submit a model fitting into that theme with in a certain time frame.usually 6 months
troikken
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the welcome Justin!

Are there any particular rules or guidelines regarding a campaign? What happens at the end of a campaign?
troikken
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:43 PM UTC
Actually I just had a read of Gary Kato's Tutorial for Campaign Leaders....that pretty much answers any question I have.....very comprehensive guide to how a campaign works.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hi Troy. If you take a look at a couple of Campaign enlistment pages you might get a clearer idea of what they are about.

Here are a couple of Campaigns I have running at the moment on Aeroscale
Anti-Shipping Campaign
Winter Wonderland

There are also a few Campaigns that cross-over between several or all streams, for example Guido (Tailor) came up with an excellent idea here Seed of Death

Cheers, D
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 - 02:14 AM UTC
Troy,
Click on the campaigns tab and just select any of the current campaigns to get an idea of what it is all about. I try to do a couple campaigns a year just because it gives me something to focus on, plus it's fun to keep up and participate in the campaign thread.

Oh and Welcome to Armorama!
troikken
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 - 09:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Troy. If you take a look at a couple of Campaign enlistment pages you might get a clearer idea of what they are about.

Here are a couple of Campaigns I have running at the moment on Aeroscale
Anti-Shipping Campaign
Winter Wonderland

There are also a few Campaigns that cross-over between several or all streams, for example Guido (Tailor) came up with an excellent idea here Seed of Death

Cheers, D

Hey the Anti-Shipping campaign sounds good. The rules seem pretty straight forward. Can you join a campaign at any time? Perhaps an F111C with AGM-84 Harpoons fitted would fill the anti-shipping role just nicely

Thanks for the welcome Art. The campaign idea is pretty appealing. Looks like good fun to build a model towards a particular theme. Part of the fun will be sourcing an apt model for the theme. Gives me a good excuse to visit the hobby shop
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey the Anti-Shipping campaign sounds good. The rules seem pretty straight forward. Can you join a campaign at any time? Perhaps an F111C with AGM-84 Harpoons fitted would fill the anti-shipping role just nicely

Hi Troy. Generally you can join in at any time during a Campaign as long as you start and finish within the set dates. Some leaders will allow builds that have been started previously as long as only minor work has been done. Then there are the Campaigns aimed specifically at finishing stalled builds or unfinished builds from previous Campaigns.

Quoted Text

The campaign idea is pretty appealing. Looks like good fun to build a model towards a particular theme. Part of the fun will be sourcing an apt model for the theme. Gives me a good excuse to visit the hobby shop

Exactly right, researching the theme, deciding on a particular aircraft, browsing the threads and going over build reviews on various sites, bidding on a few on eBay and missing out by THIS much, then hitting the hobby shops. Then getting the build done within a time frame, which helps me out a lot with prioritizing my bench time.

My problem is that I got addicted to Campaigns very quickly and I'm enlisted in about 5,000 of them along with actually leading a few, but the chaos just adds to the enjoyment for me.

Cheers, D
troikken
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Troy. Generally you can join in at any time during a Campaign as long as you start and finish within the set dates. Some leaders will allow builds that have been started previously as long as only minor work has been done. Then there are the Campaigns aimed specifically at finishing stalled builds or unfinished builds from previous Campaigns.

Exactly right, researching the theme, deciding on a particular aircraft, browsing the threads and going over build reviews on various sites, bidding on a few on eBay and missing out by THIS much, then hitting the hobby shops. Then getting the build done within a time frame, which helps me out a lot with prioritizing my bench time.

My problem is that I got addicted to Campaigns very quickly and I'm enlisted in about 5,000 of them along with actually leading a few, but the chaos just adds to the enjoyment for me.

Cheers, D

Yes I reckon you can get addicted to them pretty easily! I'm just starting to get myself setup at the moment...compressor, airbrush, tools..etc...so once im set i can start concentrating on on my own builds and maybe a campaign or two. I got a few Japanese WW2 models for Christmas and couldn't wait until Christmas to start on one of them...oh well....it was the thought that counted
 _GOTOTOP