_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Need tool recommendations
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC
Looking for recommendations on two items:

1) An optivisor - I see a few options on Micromark's website. If you're happy with what you use, can you tell me the make and model number?

2) Tweezers - I've been using tweezers I found in my local drug store. Can anyone recommend a source for super fine tweezers suitable for PE?

Thank you!
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 03:13 AM UTC
Bill,

Instead of an Optivisor, I use two Harbor Freight 16.5X Jeweler's Clip-On Eye Loupes on a Dollar Store plastic reading glasses frames.

For the PE Tweezers, I recommend Squadron's Fine End Cross-ActionTweezer , which have a super fine tip and they clamp. I also recommend a fine point needle-nose pliers, but with square-tip jaws for bending and forming. The set I have I actually got when my Grandfather passed away.

I hope this helps...
MikeM670
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 278 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 06:25 AM UTC
I have a very nice tweezers that that comes to a point. I use that one all the time. I believe it was purchased from Micro-mark. As for pliers I found three at my local sears store that have flat jaws ie... No serration in the surface. One is a flat bull nose type, the other is needle-nose and the final one had round jaws.
In the future I will pickup a locking set of tweezers and they will come in handy.

I have the optimizer headset and use it all the time. Others like the freestanding one's you look through and can position anywhere you want. I really would like to find a nice higher power set then what I currently have with is 3x diopter.
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 383 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC
I recently bought an optivisor with the #5 (2.5 mag at 8 inch) lens and must say I wonder why I waited so long to buy one. Truly a great tool

As for the tweezer I use one made by Excel (http://www.excelhobbyblades.com/product_info.php?products_id=320) Again a wonderful tool. Quite cheap if I remember well and very sharp. Don't let it drop on you as it will easily make a nice little hole in your skin

You should be able to find some in Hobby Store or a good craft store.

HTH
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 07:00 AM UTC
You can buy the lit optivisor from Harbor Freight for about $10. You can also find non-serated needle-nose pliers there. Check modelexpo-online.com or micromark for tweezers.
 _GOTOTOP