_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hobby shops in S. Cal Area
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 05:14 AM UTC
I just moved to Ft Irwin (Barstow, I-15, Mojave desert area) of Calicornia. What are some of the better hobby shops in the area? Specifically looking for armor and helicopters and aftermarket items.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 05:40 AM UTC
There had been one on the main drag of San Bernadino in 1989 or so but it appears to be gone as the only hobby shop that shows up in a yahoo maps search is a Toy Box in a mall. Also, there were a few in San Diego/El Cajon back then, but that would be quite the trek for you.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
Sorry to hear that HeavyArty - Looks like you'll be having to mail order or made weekend trips into civilization to get supplies. I did a seach on the Smart yellow Pages for that area and 20 miles surrounding and there are none. But the good news on a weekend you can get down to my area OC and there are several good shops Ultimate Hobbies on Tustin Road Tustin CA, Militray Hobbies Ball Road Orange CA, Brookhurst Hobbies Brookhurst Ave. Garden Grove CA. Oh there is a kit show coming up Oct 19 you might want to try for at Sequioa community center (OrangeCon) Stanton CA. Bad news all of this is about 100 miles from you.
MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 05:58 AM UTC
yeah ive got that problem 2, have to drive 20-30 km from weidhausen to coburg, where is the next hobby shop
Prowler
Visit this Community
entire network: 174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 06:52 PM UTC
Hey, HeavyArty
I live in Bakersfield and there a couple of hobby shops here
and the next nearest hobby shop is Hobby Town in Valencia.

I hope that will help you some
uscusn
Visit this Community
entire network: 86 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 06:14 AM UTC
Hello Gino:

1st welcome to So. California, you are off Hwy 40 in the Inland Empire. The largest metro area is Barstow. From their you can head S. on I-15 that well get you into the Ontario/Fontana of San Bernardino Co. It's about an 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive. In Montclair you have Pegasus Hobbies. Pegasus Hobbies
5515 Moreno Blvd.
Montclair, Ca. 91763
(909) 982-6507
What is convenient it is open on the weekends. From the I-15 head west towards LA, about 10 min trip exit Central ave, turn Right to Moreno. At the stop light turn Right, about a 1/4 on the rh side of the street. Pegasus has grown from a little shop into a Multi hobby shop. They have Tamiya paint, Model Master, Tenax. Dececnt selection of military and aircraft kits. However their forte has become R/C cars and planes. So 1/2 the shop is devoted to that market. And of course retail prices! There was a little shop in San Bernardino but I'm not aware if it is open anymore. Next area that is a heck of a trip for you but you can take on a weekend drive into Orange County (visit the beaches, Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm,etc). You have BrookHurst Hobbies in Garden Grove.
Brookhurst Hobbies
12188 Brookhurst St.
Garden Grove, Ca. 92840
(714) 636-3580
Also conveniently open on the weekends. This shop has been around for many years now. I do not know if original owners still operate it, but have leaned more into wargaming and fantasy games. But still a very good selection of aftermarket detail sets, decals, did carry Xtra Colour enamels, but also have Gunze, as well as Model Master and hopefully Color of Eagles line of paints. (Aeromaster replacement). A very good selection of kits and nice display cases of built up models.
There are other shops in the LA area and smaller shops in Orange Co. But other than an immediate need or mail order these are the closest shops to us. I live in Rancho Cucamonga (Alta Loma). Unless I'm planning a trip it's the internet or mail order for me.

Chuck
Fly Navy
uscusn
Visit this Community
entire network: 86 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 06:23 AM UTC
Hello Gino:

From the I-15 head west on I-10 (San Bernardino Fwy) towards LA into Montclair. Then exit off Central Ave. Left out that important piece of info. Last thing you want is to get lost on the freeway system here. Actually stuck, 1/2 the time they are moving parking lots! Even on the weekends. Just borrow a Bradley they may get out of the way!

Chuck
Fly Navy
 _GOTOTOP