_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Tamiya putty question
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hi all

I'd like to know if the only difference beetween the gray and the white basic putty Tamiya is the colour.

As you know, Tamiya sell also white & gray surface primers (liquid or in spray cans).Tamiya white primer are finer than the gray one

Is that the same also for the putties?
The white one is finer than the gray one?

Thanks in advance for any kind replies
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:13 AM UTC
I don't know about the putties as they haven't been available in the North American market for almost 2yrs now.

The primers however, Tamiya makes a regular White and Grey primer, but they also make a Fine White, and Fine Grey Primer.

The fine ones are the only ones I carry, as I find the regular primers too thick, and I have just been told by my supplier that Tamiya primer is going to be unavailable in the North American market until probably late in the 1st qtr because they got nabbed for the non-English labeling. I figured it was only a matter of time until they would be forced to change the labeling. Now I know why someone bought every can of white primer that I had from me the other day!!

So...if you like Tamiya Primer, buy it while you can as once the stocks at the LHS is out, that will be it for a few months.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 10:23 AM UTC
Well, Scott, i don't know if here in Italy we could have an availability problem with Tamyia primers
Actually i've noticed that is more difficult than the past buying tamyia stuff (and, of course, some products are even not sold here), but i think that it depends just on the "smallness" of our national kit market.

To be honest i've always used the gray primer, but i think i won't use any primer for the next kits 'cause the spray can don't avoid perfect results. To obtain good smooth surfaces and to prevent the awful "details drowning" , it's would be necessary the airbrush. I know that someone sprays the primer in a jar and then loads the airbrush tank, but I think it should be a risk for the tool. I've decided to use 2 or 3 thin coats of acrilyc gray as primer (Tamyia, Lifecolor, Air valleyo, actually I don't know yet). I believe that it shuld be a more controllable technique

Thanks for the reply

Cheers
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know about the putties as they haven't been available in the North American market for almost 2yrs now.

Actually, Tamiya America lists their white putty and light curing putty as available in the US, but apparently only through hobby shops and not from their web site.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=87095
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=87076
 _GOTOTOP