_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Lets give some kits away!
Uncle-Krunkus
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:06 PM UTC
Hey everybody,
I know the title of this thread would be seen as pure heresy by some, but bare with me for a minute or five.
Just as I was starting out on this forum (oh, must be at least a week ago now!) I decided I was going to get serious about my model building, part of that meant cleaning up the "lab" and giving myself some space to build things. Part of it was going through my (meagre) stash and deciding on a plan of attack.
Put simply, I decided that my best chance of finishing the projects I really wanted to, was to get ruthless and cut back on the backlog.
I'm not really into building 1/72 scale aircraft lately, so the easy way to cut it in half was to get rid of them.

Now I read alot in modeling magazines about how we should be promoting our hobby with the younger generation, and I figured the best way to do that was to donate these kits to my local op-shop (happens to be Anglican, but any charitable types would do) I'm actually a hard Atheist, but I do believe Christmas is a time for giving and for being grateful for what we've got.
Now, I know that these kits have $4 stuck on them, and some struggling mum will be able to buy her son or daughter a model plane for Christmas.

I'm not saying everyone should just go and give half of their kits away to charity, but, if you're gonna do it, do it over the next two weeks. It sure gave me a great sense of gratitude, a smaller pile of kits to finish, and the feeling that I am capable of caring about my community. (believe me, I'm usually a fairly grumpy, narcisistic old scrooge! )
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:11 AM UTC
Huzzah Huzzah!

GREAT IDEA! Thank You, Andrew!

It's a great way of, as Andew has posted, helping others enjoy a little cheer in what, for many, has been an evil and trying time. I'm going to follow his lead and look into my overly-swollen stash tonite for a couple kits and donate them! This way they might actually get built instead of filling my closet!

I think I'll focus on kits which are more buildable, rather than casting off a real bear (dawg)- helping a kid get happy probably succeeds better with something a kid can actually build, as versus fight with!

Hope others will join in with us! Merry Xmas!

Bob
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:55 PM UTC
Good for you to getting in the spirit of the season...I usually donate mine during our church's/school's Oktober fest{that's how they spell it} at my daughter and son's school{Catholic}. The kids really get into it since they can lowball bid any of the kits I give...we're talking .25 to $1.00{usd} to aquire one and the money benefits the school. The surprising thing was the adults that chimed in heavily during the main auction! I usaully give 4,5, or 6 kits. Last time out was a big haul for them...out went my 1/48th B1 bomber{revell...hehehe} and my 1/96th{?} Saturn V rocket{big sucker} along with afew others...you should have seen the faces when I brought those in!
For me, the giving season can be all year round and I try to keep it at our church/school for those who aren't looking to increase they're stash - but just to build...but that's me.
I think it's a great thing your doing sir...keep it up and someone, somewhere, someday will reward you-
 _GOTOTOP