_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
My first test photos
Uncle-Krunkus
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hey everybody,
Here are my first couple of photo uploads. I'm mainly just testing the process of getting the photos out there. The subject, I know, leaves a lot to be desired.

I've just put a black piece of cardboard in my display cabinet, and shot handheld under assisted daylight coming in from the window.
I bounced the flash off a business card to soften the glare which you get coming back from the models highlights. These are with macro turned on, (I just assumed it would help the camera focus at such short range, but it may not be necessary)

This is very old Tamiya T72 which I built about 12-14 years ago.
I know the gun has broken off.
I know the wheels aren't weathered,(I actually just forgot to do them! lol!)
I know it's probably not a valid camouflage for this tank.
I know the track has started to melt from the severe weathering technique. (douse with turps and splash oil paint around! lol!)
But there is something about the look of this finish which I really like even now, and, hey, everybody's got to start somewhere. I would actually like to replace the gun's barrel, add some white metal tracks and weather the wheels to give it a facelift. When I get a round to it.

So, any questions, ideas about improving the build, and most importantly, ideas about improving the photography would be greatly appreciated.

BTW How strict are the 800*600 image guidlines? A lot of other photos I've seen here seem to be at a lot higher resolution than that.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:54 AM UTC
Not bad for a test. One thing I would like to see is a brighter background, both the color of the cardboard and more light.
For some types of shots this works, but to simply show off your model I would suggest a brighter background, gray, blue, white. Details will be easier to see.
Plus I would like to see some extra light. Put a desk lamp on either side, maybe cover with tissue to soften the light a bit.
 _GOTOTOP