_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
relics in shows
squidgy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 147 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 03:54 AM UTC
i have a question for the members out there that run model shows, i am thinking of entering a couple of my tank models along with a individual panzer iv 40cm tank track it is in the condition it was found rust etc, i obtained it from a dealer in poland, so i am assuming it was dug up from some where in that part of the world, how is this looked on by the community, is it allowed ?

thanks for the help with this

mark
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
Just aboutanything is allowed. How well you do will depend on

A. how well you carry off the look of a derelict and

B. what else shows up, if the show isjudged in the standard 1-2-3 format. You will be judged against everything else in your class, so what else is on the table may have an impact on how well you do.

You'd do well to have documentation in the form of photographs to let the viewer know what you were trying to achieve. A couple years ago our best in show was a blown up, burned out DAK Panzer IV. The buiklder succeeded in getting the plastic to really look likemetal that had been bent from the explosion and oxidized from the fire.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 11:29 AM UTC
Al:

I'm thinking that Mark was maybe asking for opines on his showing a real Pz. IV track-link (a tank relic) at a model show, along with some builds? I could well be wrong...!

@Mark:
About showing an old track-link relic:

I'm not actually anyone who runs or ever put on a model show... but I do participate in a club which does. I would say that seeing such a relic at our show could be really cool for lots of folks! People do bring in lots of old stuff- uniform bits, medals, parts of vehicles, dud rounds, etc. We always have a few special bits brought in by a member who collects guns and related stuff- so maybe an old Soviet night-vision scope, cartridge casings, etc. It's pretty interesting and lots of the show builders can relate. Other folks bring in pics of "walk-arounds", etc. of real vehicles seen at collections and museum displays.

I would expect that a piece of an iconic panzer could be a good display and I would personally find it to be of great interest!

All that said... There are some folks who will perhaps take offense- so maybe you need to do a couple-3 things: I would think about the audience I've seen at that show on previous events- if I've been there before. Maybe I have some impression of where the average sentiment lies- are the majority seemingly broadly interested modelers with an eye for history versus those harboring old grudges and axes to grind? I would be sure to contact the show folks- the club or organization putting it on- and ask your question of them... how do they feel about it? It is their show- so... And last, but not least, if I were putting it up for display, I would go in knowing that maybe some folks will actually be less favorable and some may even be a bit "off" about seeing "a Nazi relic"- so be prepared to avoid a potentially confrontational individual! (Though, seeing as German sells and shows so well in the model world... I would not expect any hot opines about a real tank track link!)

Just, of course, my opinion! Bob
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 08:19 AM UTC
Mark,

Aside from the whole "can it be done" and "will it offend" issues, there are more practical ones to consider. The track link is a big chunk of steel, so is it light enough to sit on whatever cheapo folding table the venue uses for the contest entries? And as it is rusty, I'd want to mount it on a nice clean wooden base to avoid marking any tablecloths etc with rusty streaks that are difficult to clean. (That might also help prevent curious folk from trying to pick it up, with the inherent dangers associated with handling a big chunk of steel above lots of delicate plastic models!) And you'll want to be able to clean the rust off your hands before handling any models, to avoid any unexpected "weatherning".

I have to say I could see a nice diosplay where the base is cut to hold the link in the centre as well as a couple of PzIV models flanking it, but you might want to transport the models separately and place them on the base once it is safely settled on the table...

Regards,

Tom
squidgy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 147 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hello Guys

thanks very much for the replies, yes i was a little worried about offending someone, but i suppose whatever you do , there is a chance of offending someone, and Tom, i did not think about the logistics of it all, the weight and the rust causing issue, i was on the same wavelength in regards to displaying it, the track, a couple of panzer iv variants flanking it and a replica panzer assault badge in the front, but you idea of having a area cut of of the stand is the one i will probably go with, again i appreciate the advice

mark
 _GOTOTOP