_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Automotive
This is a group for automotive scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Need ideas on scratch building parts
miamiknsfan
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 10:06 AM UTC
I bought the Revell Germany 2006 Ford Mustang and I am going to build it as my personal car. I need ideas on fabricating a Cold Air Intake and Strut brace. I think I can modify the kit intake hose but I dont know what to use for the cone K&N filter. I was thinking of using solder to make the brace. Any ideas I would appreciate it. I included pics of my car for reference.

Photobucket

Photobucket
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 11:05 AM UTC
oooooooo! thats a nice car!

You could try something that you could carve for the intake. A fine foam, or mould it out of magi sculpt, and carve in the fins before it sets.

For the strut braces, i'd use thin stryene rod, and heat it with hot water. solders ok, but i can never seem to get it dead straight.

would you mind posting pics of the interior? i might do a model of your car now, it looks awesome!
miamiknsfan
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
Thanks. Pics of interior below. I have added alot of this and that so I have my work cut out in duplicating it. That idea of molding it in foam sounds good because I need to do my plenum cover too since the kit doesnt have one.

Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 03:16 PM UTC
First off Nice car I have a black one but what I would do is stack styrene and carve it out.This will give you a more solid molding base.as for the filter small folded paper in a cone shape w/styrene end caps
miamiknsfan
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 02:19 PM UTC
The project is coming along. I fabricated fuel rails, and started wiring. Decided to use the strut brace and cold air from the bullitt kit. Just need to fatten up teh intake to match a K&N. Striped the hood and painted the after market spoiler to match. First experience with flock for interior but it came out decent. I added floor mats also. I am gonna fabricate the plenum cover and apply my own decals for the stripes and pony. I am also going to use the rims from the bullitt kit.

samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 530 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 10:16 PM UTC

Just a thought, take a look around the house at all those toothpaste and glue caps (and virtually any other small tube of stuff). Most are round, tapered and have fins running top to bottom just like your K&N. Who knows, you just might find the perfect "donor" in a drawer a few feet away.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
miamiknsfan
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 12:13 PM UTC
Almost finished. First time using custom decals from computer.

_GOTOTOP