_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How "social" are you in your modeling?
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 310 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 02:25 AM UTC
With the number of discussion forums and the number of people that frequent them, one might get the impression that modelers are really social creatures.

We post messages looking for advice on all facets of the hobby. We post images of our models for all to see. We even write extensive descriptions of how we do things in our hobbies. Some of us even put up websites to share our works.

However, what I have observed over the years is that most of us do not want any social interaction during our model making.

I'd be interested to hear how folks might answer the following -

Are you interested in sharing your techniques and models while you actually build them?

Would you support a group that organized "Group Building" in your area?

What group format would be best?

Four or five modelers huddled around a table working through a kit in an assembly line fashion?

Or, maybe just hanging out, in a room full of tables working on your current project?

Later,
Tim
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi,

I felt sorry for not having modellers with same interst on my area to make a group. I sure will join one. So I must stay on a internet group
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 02:37 AM UTC
I think I'm a pretty 'social' type of modeler - I like to buddy-build and have done so in the past, but others in my area aren't so inclined. The distances out here on the West Coast between modelers makes this a little diffcult to get a good bunch together - near enough to each other - to make it a regular thing.

If I were principally an aircraft modeler - I'd be in a good location...

Gunnie
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 02:41 AM UTC
Both my IPMS chapter and AMPS have a "bring and build" at least once a year. Don't get much modeling done, mostly talk....LOL
Or sometimes a group will meet at someones house....veeeeery infrequently....
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 02:50 AM UTC
It all depends on what you expect from this hobby of ours,i have been a member of various
groups over the years,most with a good mix of subjects,where we normally parted it was
usually because they started to take themselves too seriosly.....(lets get this category filled
for the comps,come on people lets move!).thats when i move ...to the door! Ihave found
that groups work best when they are all doing something different..ie,this site.Although we
separated in some cases by thousands of miles,i still regard this as a group( with Yoda to
jerk my funny bone),and long may it remain so.
Cheers
Arthur :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 02:50 AM UTC
I build by myself and sometimes one of my kids builds their kit along side me. My IPMS club is going to have a meeting where all we do is work on a kit at the meeting. Sometime this summer.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
There are no others in my area, Armorama is the closest thing I have to buddy building.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 02:59 AM UTC
My figure club, The Atlanta Military Figure Society, has had two previous club projects. the first, Verlinden's 3d NJ Cavalry bust, was completed in group sessions after our normal meeting. We had a project leader who'd provide instructions and tips, and we would all get together after the meeing and break out brushes and oils...I unfortunately am the leader on the next project, our 3d, Verlinden's Fallschirmjaeger bust. Our 2d project did not work out quite so well, a Historex mounted trooper (4 to pick from) as the enormity of the project was not as conducive to group work.
I enjoyed it greatly; I learned a great deal about oil painting. It was especially neat to get everyone's ideas on tackling certain aspects of the painting process. We displayed all the busts at our show as a group the following year...quite impressive!
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 03:35 AM UTC
I've never buddy-built, though I certainly wouldn't object to it, the opportunity simply hasn't been there. I'm a member of my local IMPS club, and that's nice just to get together and see what they've been working on and shoot the bull. They only meet once a month though, and I've had to miss the last two meetings, so I'm currently going through withdrawal - which is partially why I'm here (actually came here through a link on the clubs website IMPS West Central Missouri ).

It's really great to chat with modelers from around the world, that have such different, yet similar views. No one takes themselves too seriously, and are always willing to lend an idea or offer a kind word of encouragement.

-Paul
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 03:47 AM UTC
Actually, when I'm building and painting, I just don't see anything else... There could be an earthquake and a volcano eruption and a killer bee invasion and I probably wouldn't notice it... So group build would be a big no-no for me, I guess.

There aren't many modelers in my area. Before I got a computer I experimented by myself, but for the last couple of years the internet is THE option for me... First, I was lurking on the Track Links newsgroups and Missing Links forums just gathering info and references. Here on Armorama I found great bunch of guys (and gals) who really know many nice things on modeling, but don't take modeling too seriously and are always ready for a laugh. That's why Armorama is THE option for me...

Mario M.

Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC
Very Interesting subject to comment on. For Me, as far as I know there is only one group build here in the DFW area. And it seems to focus mostly on Russian Armor, Something that I do not find all that much interest in. Plus When I am Modeling it's pretty much the same attitude as when I am reading a Really Good Book, Don't Bother Me, Don't Come near me, i.e. No outside influences to disrupt my concentration. I can have some music playng softly in the back ground and A window open for both ventilation and to enjoy the veiw. But for the most part I pretty much isolate myself from everything else while I am modeling, Not to be selfish, It's just that It's hard for me to concentrate if some one else is near by talking or otherwise distracting me. And I SOMETIMES get pretty serious with a particular kit that I might be working on.. So No I guess I am not a SOCIAL Modeler.

DAGGER-1 When Science Fails, Brute Force Win's
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 04:14 AM UTC
I usually build by myself. I tried finding a model club around here. Found one, but the meeting I went to only 4 other guys showed up. I was the youngest by about 25 years...
During building sessions I usually listen to music (AOTC soundtrack). If I knew other people who built models, sure I'd be all for a group building session. For now though, I'm a solo builder...

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 04:15 AM UTC
Well I think modelling isn't enough of a interest for me to go and hang out and "buddy build".

I like the fact that I can interact with great people through the web and share our common interest. But the reason that I build models is that I can pick up a kit and build what I wish when I wish (plus it makes me think that I didn't waste that Honours degree in History) . It isn't the social aspect of modelling that is important to me.

I guess am selfish this way. Becaue if I crave social interaction, I play hockey or play a computer game or hang out with my wife.

MSW
Tankera1
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 07:11 AM UTC
I have never been part of a buddy build and don't think that I would enjoy it very much. I do enjoy talking about techniques and current projects. For most of my modeling career I have felt very much alone, I just never met many people who built models of any kind. I believe that I got used to it being a lone endevor. I do enjoy reading and participating in the boards though.
lightningdon
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 07:33 AM UTC
Well, I build in solitary confinement. I don't know of any clubs in my area. I have 1 freind who models 1/25 cars on occasion. I would like to build in a group setting sometimes. It would be nice to model with someone who is actually considered an expert. I am a basic builder with only a few attempts at super detailing with limited results. I don't know much for airbrushing. I do basic camo schemes but weathering is something I haven't tried much. So modeling with an expert could teach me these things in a hurry. I build and fly RC airplanes and have a buddy that I team up with on occasion and have learned so much when together. It's much easier to model when someone can SHOW you how to accomplish something.

Don
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 07:56 AM UTC
I have never had a modeling club near by. I just found out that there is an IPMS chapter in Winnapeg, but that is over 100 miles and a very complicated border crossing away. When I was in a computer club I found that I disliked going to the meetings. As far as group building, I think I would pass.
As others have already said, the internet is my model club. Primarely, here and RMS.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 06:05 PM UTC
I tend to get out of work around 7 in the evening.
When I've eaten, checked my mails and armorama... it's getting a bit late for going out again and
socializing.
Modeling is the greatest "decompression" hobby I've found, after a long day of work.
I tend to socialize a lot on week ends, with family, sport buddys, friends... so there wouldn't be time
left for a modeling club !
That's why I'm very happy i found armorama. And soon, I hope I'll be showing you some of my work,
so I can get some well deserved criticism !
Red4
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 09:52 PM UTC
After I sacrifice the goat and smear the blood and offer up the other sacrifices to the gods of styrene....I, uh.... hmmmm. I probably wouldn't be the guy to have a group build with... lol
Seriously though,
I have found that based on where I live and the distance that my buddies live from me, its hard to get together for a buddy build. Every other Sunday though I do make the attempt to get together with a few friends at our hobby shop and build a little bit. I keep it basic though by just bringing the basic tools for clean up and parts removal. I have entirely too many tools and gadgets to haul around with me when I get the chance to build with my friends. The comment about modeling being a good way to end the day is right on the money. After having to deal with the headaches of work for 10-12 hours a day, its good to come home every once in awhile and take a "Plastic Sabatical" (sp?) if just for 30-45 mins or so. Takes a tremendous amount of stress off of me anyway. I have friends that do nothing but build when they get the chance, and thats fine for them. I like my sunshine too so I try to divy up my time between building and my many other interests. If only there were 30 hours in a day I'd be set.. lol. Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. "Q"
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 10:24 PM UTC
I don't think that I would like the idea of building 1 kit in a group, but I might enjoy a group build where everyone is working on the the same kit, but different models. I would like to have a chance to watch someone demonstrate a technique. At my modeling club all we do is look at each others latest projects and discuss them, but no building goes on at the meeting. I find it hard to visualize what someone is saying that they do sometimes so it would be nice to see them demonstrate it. A perfect example is making zimmerit out of putty. I've read numerous articles and posts regarding the process of making zimmerit with Milliput or spackle, but I think that it would be great to actually see someone doing it while explaining the process.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 11:32 PM UTC
I agree with Adam. I'm a solitary modeler, but I'd love to be in a group just to watch people who really know how to do it demonstrate their techniques and skills. I, too, am a visual person, and pick things up much more quickly after "seeing" someone do it. To me, that would be heaven. I've thought about hunting down the IPMS chapter here, but got the impression it was more "show-and-tell" rather than demonstrate, but perhaps I will check them out anyway.

Mike

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 12:14 AM UTC
While I often invite company to my studio, I never "buddy-build"... it would be like asking someone to share my underware! Just too personal. I do like to build with other people nearby, so we can talk, exchange ideas, and get a little interactive feedback... so if you are a diorama, armour, or figure kinda modeler, and live in the Dallas - Plano area, drop me a line. i have a cool setup and would be more than happy to share some time and space!

Keith Magee
[email protected]
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While I often invite company to my studio, I never "buddy-build"... it would be like asking someone to share my underware! Just too personal.

That was the thing I was aiming at, too. I would hardly share a model with someone, even if it was with a far better modeler than I am... The model I'm building is mine, all mine, and don't even try to touch it... Sorry I got carried away.

Mario M.

Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 02:48 AM UTC
I would like to be more social with my modeling. All though there are a few of my friends that build models but there either not as into is at me, or do very little of it. Iam in the IPMS model club that i attent every month. At shows i dont really get a chance to talk to many of the older modelers because of time but hopefully that will change.

Mike
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While I often invite company to my studio, I never "buddy-build"... it would be like asking someone to share my underware! Just too personal. I do like to build with other people nearby, so we can talk, exchange ideas, and get a little interactive feedback... so if you are a diorama, armour, or figure kinda modeler, and live in the Dallas - Plano area, drop me a line. i have a cool setup and would be more than happy to share some time and space!

Keith Magee
[email protected]
size=1 color=#353535>

Sounds like you didn't get my meaning in my post. To "buddy build" is to hang out with your friends and model, or shoot the breeze about modeling favorite subjects. Virtually everyone here already does that, and you just described it above. "Buddy Building" isn't anything more than that...

Gunnie
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 06:19 AM UTC
I can actually go both ways on this one. I tend to be a lone-wolf kinda guy most of the time anyway, and with a wife/kids/dogs/cats/MIL/etc. it can be tough to get time alone. Often the 'model dungeon' is my escape, my chance to be alone and left alone. I have modelled this way for 30+ years and enjoy it that way. Even now, most of my modelling is solo, and (as i have said before) is perceptive enough to recognize the 'bear repellent' effects of that time.

That said, I do enjoy those times when my boys join me in the dungeon. I enjoy teaching, mentoring, coaching them as they watch or work on their own kits. I find that my own techniques are more disciplined and more carefully executed when they are watching or I am showing them how. And it is nice to just sit with them and work quietly, together. I am discovering that my oldest will occasionally relax and ask me questions that tell me what is really on his mind. These moments are a blessing, and I wouldn't trade them for a week of alone time.

_GOTOTOP