_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Anyone else build 1/25 Cars?
CARFACE
entire network: 128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hello, My name is Chuck( crowd: HI CHUCK!) and I have a problem. I'm a closet Car-modeller.
I've been wondering if there are any more of us out there. If so, what are your favorite car kits? Mine would have to be the Revell-Monogram C-5 Corvette kit and the Tamiya Porsche 962 Rothman's. Both are excellent out of the box!
Just wondering
Chuck
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 01:21 AM UTC
Chuck,
It's been a while since I built a car kit. A longggg while. But I still have a few in storage unbuilt I think. My favorite kits are either sports cars or muscle cars. I like Revell. Maybe someday I will build a Tamiya car kit for fun.

If you haven't run across them before I would check out PCModeler.com (http://www.pcmodeler.com) and F1M.com (http://www.f1m.com) for more car building enthusiasts.

Jim
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 01:52 AM UTC
Yes, I started to build cars again just recently. It started when I received a T-bird NASCAR as a gift and I also built some snap cars with my kids. I then picked up a PT Cruiser since I saw it was a well engineered kit (see articles) and made an Army staff car out of it. Several other car kits I've acquired in the past few years are a 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero (Arii), 1980 VW Rabbit (AMT), 2000 Focus WRC (Hasegawa), all are variants of actual cars I own/owned. Car kits I bought because the price was too low to pass up: Revell-Monogram Caprice Alternomad, AMT Ford Edsel Pacer, AMT Dodge Viper R/T, R-M Grand Prix stock car, Tamiya Toyota Carina Autopista, Fujimi Infinity Q45, as well as the movie Batmobiles and a Joker Goon Car/Gotham City police cruiser and a Robo Cop Taurus.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hey Chuck,
I do build a car every so often. I like to build the old body style Mustangs. I have a '66 Mustang Fastback here that was the last car I built and turned out pretty decent. I want to do one of Tamiya's new VW Beetle, and paint it up like a ladybug.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 02:13 AM UTC
I build autos also! Currenty I'm half-woring on a Prosche 959 by Tamiya. By that I mean I'm woring on about one piece every two weeks....
I've also got a Ferrari F50 that will not be completed.. I chose to spray paint the body in the garage the same day my mom chose to clean the garage. I never did find the left side air intake. I have built Tamiya's Porsche Boxter. Great model, but I didn't know what I was doing with the spary can and the whole finish is really bumpy. Echhh

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 03:15 AM UTC
I still build the occasional muscle car, I'm actually working on an AMT '67 Mustang GT Fastback right now. Like Penny I'm a big fan of the early Mustangs, and have built several over the years. I only wish they made a model of the '72 so I could build the one I had in High School/College.

-Paul
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 03:24 AM UTC
I too build model cars from time to time. Mostly Tamiya Formula 1 cars, since I follow it closely and attend F1 and CART races. Just got my reservations last week for the US Grand Prix in Indy in september. I also built a VW Beetle for my 12 yr old daughter, four more years and she'll want the real thing.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 03:39 AM UTC
I also build the occasional muscle car. Mostly Camaros and Mustangs. Right now I'm in the middle of Minicraft's 1/16 '31 Ford pickup.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 04:02 AM UTC
Forgot this earlier...

Quoted Text

Hello, My name is Chuck( crowd: HI CHUCK!)

HI CHUCK!
A car I'd like to build that there will never be a model of is a 1990 GEO Prizm.
:::::::everone reading this will flinch away from screen and mutter, ' huh? '::::::::
Yeah, a Prizm. :-) Hey, it's the car I drive! It's got 130,000 miles, no radio, severely impared acceleration when the AC is on, most of the paint is chipped off the hubcaps, little bit of rust, and the cloth on the ceiling of the interior is falling off. I mean, talk about a cool model!......

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 04:15 AM UTC
I've got a small stack of cars that I build for a change of pace.

Matt
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC
Oh yeah. . .HI CHUCK!

Yodaman, that sounds like a great weathering project!! My old 'Stang would be great for practicing rust techniques as well - but the real challenge would be replicating the odd front end 'twist' that resulted from a late night encounter with a patch of gravel on a curving country road.

-Paul
lightningdon
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 07:45 AM UTC
I have built quite a few cars. If it's a MOPAR, I buy it! My favorites....Dodge Viper, Plymouth Prowler w/ trailer. I've even built a firetruck and a bulldozer! When I was in my teens, I built many big rigs. My fav there was the Peterbuilt Wrecker. I guess I should confess that I have built plastic ships( USS Constitution being the coolest) , many military aircraft ( too many to count), and 2 wooden ship models. I've even built some large scale aircraft ( RC warbirds) ( see my P47 and P39 at http://cumberlandaircraftmodelsociety.rcclubs.com/photo4.html

Don
CARFACE
entire network: 128 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi folks,
I like to scratchbuild utility equipment in 1/25th scale. About a year ago, I dropped off a scissor-lift at the rental company for my boss on my way home. While signing for the deposit I grabbed a few pamphlets. To shorten the story, two weeks later I had a scratchbuilt working two-man scissor-lift. And then there's the parts box four-cyl. engine which inspired the trailer type welder. Also a table-saw, industrial air-compressor, pick-up truck utility bed w/ crane.
Just recently I came across about forty photo's I'd taken about fifteen years ago of a local ambulance conversion facility. So now I'm distracted even more from my "serious" modelling. Eh, What are ya gunna do?
Chuck

_GOTOTOP