_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Looking for Fonderie LCA kit for dad-in-law.
DevsAd
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hi.

Dad-in-law has been looking for a detailed kit of a Landing Assault Craft of the type he was on during the ill-fated (and misguided!) Suez Crisis.

After a bit of research, he's found the 1/35 scale LCA kit which was released by Fonderie MIniatures a number of years ago. I understand it was a limited production run so will likely be hard to track down.

My d-i-l is a very keen model-maker and a kit of this detail would suit him down to the ground. I know it would be a very nostalgic task for him to complete.

Anybody know of a kit out there?! Or a good quality equivalent of roughly that scale (although I'd look at anything!)

Many thanks.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 10:32 PM UTC
Good luck on your search, it sometimes shows up on Flea-bay.

Be aware that this is a dementor of kits, it will suck your MoJo clean out of you & leave you aggrivated...

But it CAN BE BUILT! (haven't finished mine, see above, )

Other than that, google Millicast as they do some very nice 1/76th scale stuff
DevsAd
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 - 02:23 AM UTC
Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, I understand it's quite a challenge! The ol' goat is pretty accomplished tho', and casts his own lead soldiers, horses, etc. often modifying them to suit whatever troop he needs. It'll keep him out of Mum-in-law's hair for a good while too, which is a bonus...

As it happens, I've managed to track the kits down to a couple of model shops in France, one in Czechoslovakia and one in Spain! Cost around 56 Euro delivered which seems pretty good. They are Fonderie Miniature 8002 LCA in the same box, so should be as original? Or any chance they have been re-released and could be slightly different - of lesser quality?

So you're building one too! Good news - I'm sure d-i-l will be on here comparing notes/asking advice! I hope you are patient...

When you say "see above", I've checked your photos but can't find it - what were you referring to?

Thanks again, and I'll post back on my progress. I'll be in m-i-l's good books if I succeed
DevsAd
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 03:53 AM UTC
Just ordered one from Cherbourg Maquettes. They were quick to respond to my enquiries, and sound on the ball.

Fingers crossed...
DevsAd
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 11:19 PM UTC
Another request for help, please!

Although in the Signals, my dad-in-law was commissioned (?) to go with the Royal Marines during the sea landing on Egypt, so now I'm looking for suitable model soldiers to go with the landing craft. I'f found various Airfix models of a similar scale (1/32), but I'm struggling to find ones in the RM outfits of that era.

(I can't ask him to approve the ones I've seen as it's a Christmas pressie...)

Any ideas?

Thanks again.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 12:12 AM UTC
The (see above) comment refered to it Dementoring my Mojo, which is still too small & timid to try a re-match for now...

Google Royal Marines Uniform, Suez for info : such as:

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/suez/suez-index.html

http://www.seayourhistory.org.uk/content/view/483/637/1/1/

Your F-I-L could have been seconded to the RM's but would still have worn his own insignia & unifirm.

Search Amazon for Osprey books on Royal Marines, currently showing 3 overlapping titles.

Masterbox to WW2 Marine commandos, which may be suitable.
EDIT: review here: http://armorama.com/review/1259

Hornet do head sets including RN & RM caps/headgear
 _GOTOTOP