_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Parafilm-M Lifetime
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 09:48 AM UTC
I have a few questions about Parafilm-M. First off, how long is the shelf life for a strip? I assume that, like most things, if you don't use it for a while it will lose its effectiveness.

Second, and similarly, after applying Parafilm-M to a surface, will it lose its stick or is it that once it's on a surface it will retain its sealing capabilities? I just sealed a cockpit canopy but I won't be able to paint it for at least another few weeks. Is that a problem? Did I essentially waste all that Parafilm-M or will my paint lines still be neat and crisp?

Thanks in advance.
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hi Robby,
Parafilm M as far as I know lasts pretty much forever. I have two rolls on my bench that are close to 14 years old and the stuff works just as well as the day I bought them. When applied and set aside for a while the parts should be fine, just to be on the safe side I would lightly press the edges of the film to the part. I have a lot of shelf queens that I never got around to finishing and several of them I used parafilm to mask and the stuff is still on them. I’m just not too sure if, when used and setting for a few years, it will degrade then. I’ll be sure to let you know if it does. Hahaha.

Thanks,
R.J.
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 03:01 PM UTC
Ha! Thanks RJ! My masking job will only be a few weeks old...but if yours still work, then I should have no problem!

If anyone else has any more wisdom to share, please do.
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 04:20 PM UTC
I've got industrial sized rolls that I had for close to twenty years. You might want to warm it a bit if it feels dry and brittle. Holding it against your body (with the paper still on is enough. Not more than 100F is sufficient to soften without completely melting it. It also takes just a minute or less.
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 06:03 AM UTC
Good to know! My wife brought home a huge roll they found at work cleaning out the storeroom (a university chemistry store). They said it was a 'one of' and that it does not work well when it gets old. Knowing my packrat nature, my wife saved it for me, and am now glad she did! Will be trying it soon!

Jamie
 _GOTOTOP