_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
"new" and need advice please
Workboat
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 08:00 AM UTC
Greetings all,
I registered some time ago but I have never (I think) until now posted. I'm looking for a forum that will have active interest in my area of modelng activity. That is late 19th - early 20th century working vessels, scratch built in wood. I have just posted a build log of my current project in a forum whose predominant interest is in plastic kit modeling, and mostly military. that may also be the focus here (?) I don't want to go to the trouble of posting such work here if it would be viewed as a distraction of only mild interest, as appears to be in the other forum I mentioned. On the other hand, I would love to share my work (surely of 0nly moderate skill) if it would excite more general interest.

Questions: Moderator,
Would such interest exist here, and would it be proper to post the build log here that I have already posted in that other forum?
And, I have written a tutorial on the installation of LED ship lighting that accurately simulates flickering oil lanterns. Might that be interesting?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 12:37 PM UTC
There are two forums at least on Kitmaker that would apply. Model Shipwrights would be the first. There is a lot of interest there in military vessels, but also a lot of interest in others. I think you would be just what they are looking for. The other is the scratchbuilders forum. There is a lot of amazing work there. I believe the scratch builders is under the model geek banner. If you are doing dioramas associated with your builds, that would be another forum to post in.

I'm not an editor, but what you build style sounds most interesting. They are always looking for people who can do feature articles, which you can certainly provide. I would love to see your work. I've tried ship building and it hasn't worked out well for me, but I love to see what other can do.
Workboat
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 08:40 PM UTC
Russ, thanks for the reply. I can't seem to find the "Model Shipwrights" forum, unless it goes by another name. I did find the scratchbuilders forum, and that may be more appropriate anyway. I've sent an email to the forum support people to inquire further. Thanks again.

If you have real interest in ship modeling, don't give up. There are many many nautical subjects to model that will produce quite artistic results and that are designed for modelers with developing skills. I'm so new here that I'm not familiar with the amount of support a novice might expect, but I know that if you visit modelshipworld.com they love newbies over there and youy'll get all the help you could possibly ask for. Try midwestproducts.com for beautiful boat kits, the results from which would satisfy the most experienced craftsman.

Where in Utah are you? I have lots of grandkids in St. George.
Rich
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 03:27 AM UTC
Use the drop down menu at the top of the home page, this will allow you to navigate to every site in the KitMakerNetwork. The user and password you have used for this site will work for all of the sites in the Network.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 02:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the encouragement, Richard. I have a half completed Trumpeter "The Sullivans" and Heller's Nina from their Columbus set. I dream of something like the new Gambier Bay or Dragon's CVL Independence. When I catch up with current projects, I will find a boat more my speed to try again.

As for St. George, I'm up at the opposite end of the state. Less color, more people, and the only palm trees are indoors or in pictures.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 03:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Russ, thanks for the reply. I can't seem to find the "Model Shipwrights" forum, Rich

Welcome Rich, as for finding other tangents of this whole network of sites, look up at the top left corner of this page under "Kitmaker Network"...you'll be wanting to hit the button under it that says "Browse Sites". Happy hunting!
As far as your build goes I bet the folks at model shipwrights would love to see such a build, but toss us a link here so we can watch as well! I'm sure that there would be folks who'd love to see your boat build...wood is yet another of the many medias we use here to build things, and while plastic may be the most prevelent it's by no means the only thing out there.
It's been years since I've built a gas RC boat, but I do love seeing any boats built out of wood! Are you talking about actual planking - now there's an art! Even if it's simple sheet siding it takes the same effort to build straight with wood as it does in styrene.
One of these decades I need to build my RC Sloop{sytrene hull with plywood ribs}...then to learn how to master the wind{that's the hard part!!!}
Workboat
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 07:12 PM UTC
Bob, thanks. The current model I'm talking about logging here is planked with 2X5mm sycamore. All of my models are of wood, plank on bulkhead.
Workboat
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 07:26 AM UTC
Thanks to all!

I started a build log blog in The civilian boats section of the Model Shipwrights forums. I have to say that this site is rather arcane and confusing for me. I thought I was pretty savvy with computers (since 1958, engineer on main frames) but this site is humbling. My blog refuses to post more than one photo (which see). That can't be right, can it?
Workboat
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 02:45 AM UTC
Bunker boat build log

_GOTOTOP