Hosted by Matt Leese
Glue / adhesive campatibility?
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 - 10:46 AM UTC
I use several types of adhesives to construct my models the main two (2) are Tamiya Extra Thin & Plastruc Weld, I have some extra Tamiya Extra Thin bottles and wanted to transfer the Plastruc Weld into these since they do not tip over and the applicator is much better than Plastrucs'. Will I have a problem with the lids applicator (that is my question)?

Bob
Paul-H
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 234 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hi

I have one of my empty tamiya extra thin bottles filled eith Ambroid ProWeld which is IIRC the same as Plastic Weld without any problems.

Paul
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 03:26 AM UTC
Bob, a little trick I picked up for applying Plastruct, if you have a good relationship with your doctor, tell him what you want it for and ask if he will give you a syringe. Most doctors have them in their offices, otherwise you have to have a script to get them. One about the size of a diabetic needle works great. They make fantastic Plastruct applicators since you have total control over the flow. I've found they are almost infinitely reusable if you will rinse them out after use with a quick fill with acetone and then a flush with water.
For extra thin cement or CA, I made up some applicators from sewing needles and dowel rods. Take about a six inch wooden dowel and drill a small hole in one end. Then take a sewing needle and carefully clip off the end of the eye, leaving a small U shaped receptacle. Then put a bit of epoxy in the hole you drilled in the dowel rod and fit the sharp end of the needle. Let the epoxy set up and "presto", you have an applicator. The great thing is that you can make a selection of these in various sizes for next to nothing. I dip mine in a bit of acetone after use to clean off the CA or cement.
One warning - do not, under any circumstances, execute an unauthorized midnight acquisition of required needles from wife/girlfriend's sewing kit. Violations of this have been know to result in summary execution of the offending scrounger.
Hope this is of help.

Bob (no, not you, the other Bob)
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 06:39 AM UTC
@ Paul: thanks for the info. I will let the Tamiy bottle and the brush air dry then fill it with the glue from the Plastruc bottle.

@ Bob: I will see what happens when I ask for that syringe that next I am at the VA how do you keep the tip open (the glue drys very fast) I tried using a squeeze bottle applicator but the glue drys in the tube.

Bob (rip the other one)
 _GOTOTOP