_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Question about Squadron riffler files
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 383 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 12:54 PM UTC
Hi,

I recently bought some riffler files from eBay but was a little dissapointed when I discovered that 8 out of 10 files were only toothed on one side (outside curve).

I was wondering if Squadron riffler files were toothed on both side or suffered from the same little problem.

thanks

Richard
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
Chances are you can find as good files at your local hardware store or store that specializes in woodworking tools. Then you'll be able to see first hand what you are getting. I like the ones provided by Excel as seen here:

Many craft and hobby stores carry their line of tools.

robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

I recently bought some riffler files from eBay but was a little dissapointed when I discovered that 8 out of 10 files were only toothed on one side (outside curve).

I was wondering if Squadron riffler files were toothed on both side or suffered from the same little problem.

thanks

Truth be told, you can get many of the tools we use much, much cheaper at hardware stores, places like Wal-Mart, even Dollar Stores, than the prices charged for hobby specific items. In my experience, the items that can be purchased at non-hobby vendors are frequently of even better quality than many of the hobby specific tools. And as pointed out above, at many of those stores you can examine the item much more closely. Compressors are a prime example. I picked up a Campbell-Hausfeld compressor at a flea market for $40.00. Has a 1 Gal. tank, oil less compressor and can shoot at well over 60 p.s.i., not that I ever need that much pressure. A comparable hobby compressor could cost well over $200.00.
Just a thought.

Bob

Richard

_GOTOTOP