_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Beginner modeler advice.
ComradeTony
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 11:35 AM UTC
I'm not sure if this is a common/annoying topic, so I apologize in advance if it is. I am essentially brand new to modeling. I have built two 1/24 scale cars thus far (a Ferrari F430 and Audi R8) and only have access to brush painting for now. I feel like I grasp the very basics of modeling and the models I finished look passable. I'd like to get into armor modeling as WWII armor is one of my biggest passions. Could anyone give me advice on where to get started or perhaps a good first kit to build? I would greatly appreciate any advice/general tips that could be given as well. I'm subscribed to FineScaleModeler so I've been reading and learning a lot, but more tips are always great. Thanks in advance!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 01:05 PM UTC
Ahoy Comrade Tony,

Firstly, welcome to the KitMaker Network.

You'll see that there is a great bunch of guys here and you'll surely find lots of help.
As far as advice is concerned, since the topics are vast.... just
ask the questions and someone or many will gladly offer assistance.

You mention armor modeling, the choices again are vast....
Allied or Axis?

Is there a favorite piece of armor or variant that like?

As you can see you only can determine where your interests are and we will
surely help with specifics questions.
Well again welcome aboard,
Cheers,
Joe
:-H
ComradeTony
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 01:12 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply. I am mainly interested in modeling WWII armor. Specifically Soviet and German tanks/tank destroyers. I'd like some good suggestions on basic kits to get started with if possible. Perhaps a good T-34/76 kit or Panzer IV Ausf. G.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 01:21 PM UTC
I have recently picked up the Dragon kits for these 2 models and are very well detailed.
Many finely detailed parts and in my opinion excellent. There are also others
like the Tamiya kits which are very good kits as well and are less complex to
assemble....not as many parts.
AFV makes a great T34/76 with full interior and a see thru hull...interesting!

Again this is only my opinion....hope it helps for now.

Also checkout some of the excellent work by members on the Armorama section
of the KitMaker network.

Joe
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 03:21 PM UTC
Welcome aboard. No request for help is annoying. That is what these forums are for.

For German topics, the Tamiya Marder III (Sd.Kfz 139), StuG III and Pz. IV H kits are good kits to build. Clear instructions, basic assembly and nice looking models when completed. If you want to add more to them, you can, but as for basic modeling, and something to learn on, they are great. All three can be given a single color coat from a spray can or brush painted. Tamiya do a couple of Soviet subjects but I have no experince with them.

Dragon kits are usually more complex, but the Panzer III series are still quite nice to build, and not as expensive as others.
ComradeTony
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 04:00 PM UTC
Thanks a lot Russ. I've read some reviews of Tamiya kits in my modeling magazines and they are always positive. I love the StuG III so I may give that one a try first.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 11:15 PM UTC
I would suggest that you go with a Tamiya kit as an Intriduction to armor.
They are decent enough that you can build a good looking model. They aren't hardsuper complex to figure out so the build won't frustrate you. Plus they aren't super expensive.
I would also say that the first couple kits you do you build out of the box with no customization. Then once your comfortable you can start s ranch building details or introducing PE detail sets.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 12:24 AM UTC
Trumpeter's KV tanks are easy to build, low cost, and reasonably accurate.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 09:51 AM UTC
Welcome Tony. For a first model, I would go for Academy. No flashing and easy to trim pieces. The Academy kits will include some simple PE to get you started and are a fun build. I just picked up a Tiger I with interior from them. I would wait for the more detailed kits until you have a little practice. No reason to wish you had more knowledge of armor unless you go cheap. Ebay and freetimehobbies.com have decent prices. Freetimehobbies also sells Tamiya kits for a relatively low price.
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 399 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 - 03:39 PM UTC
First welcome aboard. You will find lots of good info here. Try to go to local model shows. Sometimes you find really good buys there. The last show I went to at Warner Robins in Georgia, I picked up a factory sealed 1/35 Dragon Pnz. IV/C for $10. The show before that one I grabbed a 1/35 Dragon late production Panther A with metal barrel and some extra goodies for $10. If you have a Harbor Freight near you, consider their DA airbrush for $15. It's not the best in quality but it will do the job untill you can move up to a better quality AB. You can also get a small compressor from them for under $60.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 - 04:19 PM UTC
Tony,
Welcome to the site and the hobby
When i came back to the hobby after over 25 years away a lot had changed. for the first few months I only build Tamyia's German WWII Armor. They are not as complicated as some other like Dragon and some built up to really nice kits. I'm just now starting to venture out into some of the other kits and the PE Am thing. You can find guys selling kits on this site for half the price that the stores or web sites ask.
As far as painting goes, you can do camo without an air brush, this was done with rattle can paint and masking tape

Lots of guys here are very helpful and always willing to offer good advice, so just ask
 _GOTOTOP