_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Washing before painting question
gortman
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 03:00 AM UTC
I know I should wash a model before painting it, but I'm curious when in the building process most folks do this. Do you wash the parts while they're still on the sprues or wait until the model is assembled and then wash it? Is it ok to choose the second option if you're using something like Gator's Glue, or will your assembled model self-disassemble when put in water?

Thanks for the help!
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
entire network: 286 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 04:21 AM UTC
I usually wash my model when it is ready to receive paint (whole model or sub-assemblies). It can be done when parts are still in sprues but as you build your model there is always some (sweaty&oily) fingerprints. Don't know about Gators how it holds though...
gortman
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 05:11 AM UTC
Makes sense - thanks for the reply. Think I'll experiment with the Gator's Glue on a small sub-assembly and see what happens during washing.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 05:17 AM UTC
It's good to wash parts before building, to remove mould-releasing oils from them, but you'll also add skin oils during construction that ought to be washed off too. However,if your glue is water-soluble it can dissolve! If you aren't sure, test it by gluing some scrap plastic sprues together, let them dry, and then wash them - if the glue holds you're good to go.

Plastic cement is a solvent that welds the parts so it is water-safe, but PVA glues (like Elmer's white glue) are not. Super-glues (cyanoacrylates) are safe most of the time, but if the water is too hot simple expansion of the parts can break the glue joint.

There are folks who use methylated spirits to clean models, but I cannot vouch for that technique...

Tom
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 05:19 AM UTC
On the other side of the coin, I never wash before painting. I just blow off the dust and paint away. I use Testors Model Master enamel paints and have never had a problem.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the other side of the coin, I never wash before painting. I just blow off the dust and paint away. I use Testors Model Master enamel paints and have never had a problem.

Same for me too. I have never had to wash a model before painting/finishing either. I keep my work area clean (but wonderfully cluttered) as well as my hands. I use Tamiya, Polly Scale and MM Acryl acrylics all of the time, and never had an issue - not to discourage anyone's feelings on the matter...
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 05:23 PM UTC
Generally, I wash my sprues before the build. I used to also wash the completed plastic model (sans wood and other stuff which might do poorly with soap water).

I have taken to washing hands very carefully right before a building session, and occasionally during the session- this pretty much eliminates the finger-prints.

I generally start most build-painting with Floquil enamel- mostly to reveal problems and to serve as a pre-shade. Enamels, being oil-solvent-based, will not be bothered by a little finger grease, and so can be applied safely without any build-washing. As "water-based" acrylics may not fully or consistently adhere if a build is greasy, I tend to wash those which I will start out with acrylic coats instead of the Floquil enamel.

Cheers!
gortman
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 05:16 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!
 _GOTOTOP