Hosted by Matt Leese
Liquitex - Modeling paste
eseperic
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 624 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 06:12 AM UTC
Well, now when Hannants is hacked (and my 150 Euro's gone to Virgin Media), I happened to experiment a bit until my new credit card is delivered. Recently, I ended up in a local artist's shop strolling for new brushes. Among many other things, I discovered an interesting product that might find a way to your workbench. It is called Liquitex modeling paste, and mine is packed in 237 ml plastic can. Basically, it's a matte, opaque mixture of fine marble and polymer dust in acrylic emulsion. Artists use it to build heavy textures and three-dimensional forms on rigid supports. I gave it a try, and it dries slowly to a very hard surface. It is permanent, non-yellowing and water resistant when dry (it is also very water responsive during dry-out period, and you can achieve very nice results with slightly wet q-tip). It also mixes nicely with acrylic colors (I tried Vallejo and JPS respectively), and is easily diluted with any acrylic thinner. After it dries, it can be painted, carved and sanded, but it will (unfortunately) crack on flexible surfaces. The good news is that there is another product, i.e. Liquitex Flexible Modeling paste, which is quite suited for the purpose. I also tried to dilute the paste with acrylic thinner in different ratios (1:5; 1:3), and the results are quite interesting. You can use it to seal small cracks as a filler, or use it as an acrylic glue. I prefer the Gator's glue, but I find that my "Liquistuff" will work in a variety of circumstances... Well, once it is used by a skilled modeler, I am quite sure it will fit some of the modeling challenges. And the last, but not the least, the paste is inexpensive, and I am quite sure that one jar will last forever...
 _GOTOTOP