_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
IPMS Membership worth it?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 07:43 AM UTC
What does a IPMS membership get you, other than an entry into their contests? I know it isn't much money, but I am very frugal. Thanks.
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 643 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 07:06 AM UTC
You also get a magazine, and many hobby shops give a discount when you show your card. On mail order places E-Mail them first to see if they give dicounts. Hope this helps.
Tom
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 11:03 AM UTC
You support an organization that consisits of multiple small clubs and individuals. These organizations also run events designed to introduce younger generations to modeling. I know some local clubs put on displays in the local libraries so kids can see models.

They are a conduit between manufaturers and young modelers with the make & take program. This is a program where a manufacturer sends a case of unboxed models, normally snap together and they conduct classes on how to build. The child takes home the completed kit when done.

They were also the driving force behind many of the kit drives to supply soldiers stationed overseas with donated model kits.

With the exception of the Nationals, membership is not required to enter most local and regional shows; however, the national organization provides the insurance policy to cover the local and regional shows in case of some sort of liability lawsuit. Without this support, local shows would have some difficulty occurring.

The organization also develops a set standard so that clubs can have a standard measure of skills. They also provide oversight and coordination so model clubs located in the same area do not have their shows all on the same weekend.
 _GOTOTOP