_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Weld Seam Tool
nitescotsman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 04:35 PM UTC
Hi all -

I'm looking for a little help on making a weld seam tool. I've read Lee Lloyd's article on the subject and have made one myself out of a piece of 1/16" brass tubing. However, I've found this to be a bit large for 1/35 scale weld seams. Does anyone have a recommended size for the tubing? I also seem to recall someone posting that they use a hypodermic needle, and wanted to know what size/gauge needle to get.

Thanks!
RE

Here is the link to Lee Lloyds article for those who haven't read it:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/220&page=2
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 12:54 AM UTC
I think that the hypo needle for a 1/35 weld tool would be the same as those used by diabetics. Can you get hypodermic needles somewhere? I thought that they were/are by prescription only? You may check with a veterinarian, as the needles use for animals are unregulated. In this case, it should be the standard needle for cats. Hope this helps.
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hypodermic needles are by prescription only because of their use by I.V. drug users. If you are friendly with your vet, doctor, or dentist he might be willing to help you out though. I use hypodermic needles myself for plastic weld. They do work great! You have a lot of control over the flow and they are very precise. My initial supply came from back when I was having to take alergy shots and self administered. They are about the size of a diabetic needle. Now my doc helps me out and lets me have a few from time to time since they last a long time if taken care of, flushed out after use, etc..

Bob
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC
Purchase yourself a Touch N Flow!

http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/2010/10/29/touch-n-flow-tutorial/
nitescotsman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 09:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can find a place that will sell me a needle or two. Amazon seems to carry a couple different types, but I haven't looked at it closely enough to see if it's what I'm looking for. Also, thanks Hawk for pointing out the Touch N Flow. I definitely give that a look.

Cheers,
RE
 _GOTOTOP