Trouble with decals?
Decal removing
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:01 AM UTC
As I related in my post in "Accidents really make..." I have a problem with a decal placed over metalized paint.
Does somebody knows which is the best way to remove it trying not to damage the paint.
For this I generally use Scotch Tape, but I think that in this case better try another method.
IŽll appreciate any idea.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC
Hi csch, on the side of the bottle of micro set it states it can be used as a decal remover. I presume you brush it on and after a few minutes the decal adhesive is softened making it easier to remove. I've never tried it, I use the scotch tape method and like you say there is the danger of damaging the paint that way.
Martin
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 03:30 AM UTC
No specific expereience on metalizers here, but if you didn't seal the decals with a coat of clear varnish you can use a decal setting/softening solution and when the decal is still wet rub gently with a soft wet cloth. You can need several passages but you should not spoil the underlying paintwork. Another method I used with success is just to wet the decal wit a soft paintbrush dipped in hot water, then with the tip of the brush, always wet wit hot water, start to work on the edges of the decal until it starts raising and continue until the removal is complete...
Ciao
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
Thanks Brandydoguk / Scoccia.
I tried the Micro Set Solution but it didŽnt work. To remove it I used the well known mwthod of the Scotch Tape. As it was expected it ruins the paint job, but with patience and 1000 and 1200 grit sand paper I sanded smoth, then cleaned and painted it again.

Here is the result:

Not bad isnŽt it ? I was lucky.
Thanks again fellows.
:-) :-) :-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:50 AM UTC
I applaud your luck. If that had happened to me, the paint would have come out sticky, or would have turned a noticable shade different. Sorry to hear the microsol method didn't work, I guess the decals had too long to "set-up"
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I applaud your luck. If that had happened to me, the paint would have come out sticky, or would have turned a noticable shade different. Sorry to hear the microsol method didn't work, I guess the decals had too long to "set-up"

Hi blaster76. I also think the same, the decal was placed 1 1/2 days before trying to use Micro Set to remove it
 _GOTOTOP