_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Accidents really make the difference
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:02 AM UTC

It always seems to me that everybody else knows exactly what theyīre doing and they succeed in it. Everybody else knows better. In some cases something you would like to do doesnīt work. It can be an unexpected chemical reaction, weathering overdone, wrong base colour or something else. Accidents do happen and itīs up to you whether you like to start all over again or think twice and think of a way to save the day and continue from there.

I just painted my T-20 Komsomoletsh yesterday. It had medium grey primer on, some pre-shading black wash all over and I went for the actual green base colour. I spent a few hours with it and when the green was dry I noticed that the tone was all wrong. Too bad there are no UNDO or HUE/SATURATION settings in real life.
I thought about applying new preshading as the second green layer would cover all boltheads and so on. Instead I found the right green tone among Humbrol enamels.
I didnīt mix the paint. I used very thin paint from the top of the jar. It gave my Komso just the right tone of green and it didnīt cover all the pre-shading. Just tried it out because I thought Iīd have nothing to lose. Lucky me I did.

I donīt know what was the point here but for me modelling is all experiment and learning. I donīt know about you guys but I surely have no idea what Iīm doing but Iīm going for it anyway. Most of the time it pays off.

Toni
Accidental Modeler
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:38 AM UTC
To tell you the fact, me too has lots of accidents. One time I painted my Academy A-10 1/72 tires with flat black. I painted the mags with chrome silver. I accidentally did a wrong stroke and it hits the wheels. Luckily, it didn't look bad. The stroke looks more like a marking than a useless paint. The best thing here that the wheel was on the front and not on the sides!
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:05 AM UTC
Well Toni, I feel the same way. It's all experimentation for me too even with ~40 years under my belt. Every model is a challenge, but I do find myself constantly 'shooting from the hip' with every model. If a subject comes out good enough for me, then I'm happy. I am always trying to learn from each subject, and hopefully, the next model will be a tad better. I've never considered myself to be a 'professional' or an 'artist', but I have been fortunate enough to have had some artistic talent passed on to me from my recently passed on mother. It's in the genes I guess. Ya, I've made my fair share of mistakes, and I have yet to make that 'perfect' and absolutely 'correct' model, but I strive to continue on because it is a fun hobby.

You are a great scale modeler and I am very much looking forward to seeing your Komsomie completed!
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
It happens very frequently. I have different type of accidents all the time. The strange thing is when you finish a model whith evrything going wright. I think thatīs part of this hobby.
Sometimes I get really mad and spent a lot of time thinking in the way of fixing the problem and ahve to do a lot of extra work to finish the kit the way I like In my case Iīm obssesive about the way my models have to look.
By now Iīm building a P 51D, metal finished and Iīm in the decaling process. Yesterday night when placing the decal in the upperside (National Insg) of the left wing the thing went wrong. After the Micro Sol get dry the thiny wrinkles didnīt disapear. I tried using more Micro Sol but the bastards still remains in the decal. I think Iīll have to remove the decal (over metalized paint !!!!!!!!!) and start again fixing the paint job in the wing

I know the way you feel
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC
That's the way of modeling... improvisation. Trying new stuff you think might help with the project; sometimes it is a total disaster, sometimes it is a great success... and the feeling of making things right when everything seem to have gone wrong makes it all worth wile.

BTW Toni, I think you did something simmilar to "filters". Look here: filter

Mario M.

P.S. How have you been doing Toni? Haven't seen you on Armorama for a while...
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:52 AM UTC
I guess it's like the old addage, "if life gives you lemons, you make lemonade." I'll be willing to bet a lot of commonly used modeling techniques come about from mistakes. You suppose the first guy who used Future on a model spilled some by accident, or more likely his wife did?

MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:54 AM UTC
Hey,I'm with you. I just got done building a Hanomag, and when I was putting on the decals, I sneezed and broke the left mirror and rear machine gun off. I able to part-way fix the gun (I'm still a novice in modeling, I think) by clipping off the sharp part of a tack and glue it to the gun and poke a hole a mm off of the area. It almost looks real! #:-) Anyhoo, the broken mirror was making me really angry until I found out that (get this!) sometimes, Hanomags were actually doing things, and things actually BROKE OFF! Wow! Who'd of thunk of that! #:-) Well, thanks for your time.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:56 AM UTC
Hi. Accidents, whether coming out good or bad, is just a part, and in some cases quite a big part, of this hobby. We're really lucky in that in building model AFVs they are as forgiving as they are. We sure couldn't make some of the mistakes we do if we were building a show class model car or truck. One slip up there on something, particularly the painting, and it's basically junk.

But we all learn from every mistake or accident we happen to get caught up in, usually. Sometimes for some of us (mainly me) it has to happen several times before it sinks in. Like building the wooden base to put the liquid glue container in so you won't spill it all over everything.

I've always heard that what separates the professional from the amature is not the number of mistakes they make, but how good they can cover up, or fix them as they go along.

Guess this would apply to hobbies as well. I try to keep a list of things that I've messed up on as I go along and hopefully re-read them every time I start on a new model. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. After all, the list is quite long, and getting longer all the time.

Take care, sgirty
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 10:22 AM UTC
Accidents happen i just try to made the best of it. From time to time i still goof. Latest was doing some modern infantry, and goofed. Luck had it i was able to correct the problem by hiding the mistake with gear. My goof was wrong legs attached to wrong body. #:-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
I think a lot of us developed our weathering techniques from accidents. Use weathering to hide bad paint jobs or make "mud" to hide bad filling/seams. Broken parts to simulate combat/uasage damage.
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 06:38 PM UTC
My latest mistake put the whole Russian armies reputation at risk! While painting a tank crew it called for a semi gloss black, using my tamiya-humbrol conversion chart I got the relevant paint. One quick coat later and let it dry. And the paint turned out to be the wrong one and was a gloss. My tank crew looked like it was wearing some gimp latex suits going to some gay party. This was rectified as soon as a trip to the shop for more paint was possible. Luckly I dont think the german propoganda got hold of this or it would have had dire consequences (not to mention harassing phone calls from certain members of the higher German commanders).
Cheers
Robbo
 _GOTOTOP