Hosted by Matt Leese
What am I doing wrong??
Ho55man
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 04:00 AM UTC
The photo's of work that has been done, on this site, has inspired me to take up modelling again (after nearly 30 years!!)

I bought a few, just to get back into building and then purchased a 1/32 scale Revell Beaufighter to have a go at weathering.

I purchased a SprayMaster dual action airbrush and a proprietary compressor (piston type with regulator and moisture trap). The brush seemed to be a reasonable starting one as I know from experience anything really cheap is usually cheap for a reason.

My problem is I cannot spray paint (either enamel or acrylic) unless it is diluted approx 10/1 thinner/paint. Even at this mix I cannot get a consistent paint flow (not to mention poor coverage).

The brush will spray water continuously, even with the paint flow turned right down. Paint will only flow for a few seconds, then I either have to "pump" the flow button or open up the needle. The second method will allow paint to flow for a few seconds, again, then I have to open it up further.
Only when opening up the needle completely can I get continuous paint flow but that makes detailed spraying impossible. But even that assumes that the paint is extremely dilute.

The compressor is supplying a consistent airflow and have tried pressures from 10psi up to 40 with no improvement.

It almost appears as if the paint is drying in the brush before reaching the nozzle, but stripping down the brush does not back this theory up.

I am not looking to be an airbrush master in 5 minutes, but I do not stand any chance if I cannot at least get the airbrush to supply paint.

I have read many articles, but as yet, nothing has helped and I am becoming disillusioned very quickly and that is very unlike me…….

ANY help would be very much appreciated.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 06:00 AM UTC
Welcome to the world of frustrated spray painters.
Some questions;
• What paints are you using and are you thinning them with the recommended thinners?
• Is the needle set up correctly?
• What distance from the subject are you (attempting to spray) spraying from?
• I am not familiar with the brush you have, is it a gravity fed brush?
• If no to the above is it an internal or external mixing brush?

When I first started using a spray gun I was as frustrated as you in that the needle was never in the right place to provide constant and regular paint flow, I also found that the compressor was not supplying a constant pressure. I use a single action and a dual action Badger airbrush which are both suction fed internal mix type brushes and most of my air brushing is done at between 10 and 25 PSI, any higher and I have found the paint starts to dry on route to the model. I hope to be able to help you further when you have a chance to answer the above questions but here is hoping that someone with knowledge of your airbrush and a better all round knowledge jumps in.

In the mean time resist the temptation to throw it across the room as I am sure one of the members here will be able to help resolve your issue.
Ho55man
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC
Hi CMOT,
Thanks for the reply...

The airbrush has a side paint feed with both gravity type bowl and bottle, screw fit attachments and is internal mix. (photo below)

It seems to be well engineered, metal and the fit and finish seem to be good, so I thought it was a good quality one (shows what I know about airbrushes!!)

The paints that I have been using are Humbrol enamel and Humbrol acrylic with the same results. Thining done with Humbrol Enamel Thinners for the enamels and as the acrylics are water based, I have been using water to thin those.

I persevered for many hours trying different paint flows, distances and pressures to no avail.
As for the needle set up, I inserted the needle until it sat comfortably tight in the nozzle before tightening the retaining screw. On pulling back the trigger, the needle moves smoothly. Paint flow is dictated by setting a variable stop for the trigger to limit its travel. This looks to be a pretty much standard type setup.

I do not think its inconsistency in air supply. The compressor I have, has a pressure gauge. The pressure obviously drops as I open up the air supply to the brush, but stays solid all of the time the trigger is held down on the brush.

Finally, I wont be throwing it across the room (not for now anyway!!)

Thanks again for your reply…..
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 08:46 AM UTC
I will be completely honest I have not used Humbrol paints in a spray brush ever and only use it very occasionally now for hand brushing and so cannot be of much help to you there. Can I persuade you to purchase some Tamiya paint and dilute it with Tamiya thinners at about 40% paint to 60% thinners or maybe 1/3rd paint to 2/3rd thinners (the paint should have the consistency of milk). If you give that a try and still have issues I may be able to help you further. I advise that you never thin paint with water unless it specifically states water can be used and even then it should be distilled water not tap water.

My last piece of advice is for the title of your thread, a lot of members will not read this as the title is not self explanatory. If you had titled this “help with a spray brush issue” more people will look at it and increase the likelihood of getting the answers you seek. Let me know how you get on.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 09:21 AM UTC
I have experienced this problem with my Badger 150. The only remedy I found is to
1) back the needle off slightly
2) spray either some thinner or airbrush cleaning fluid through it
3) mix your paint at about 3:1, paint to thinner
Hope this works for you.
-Matt
Ho55man
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will be completely honest I have not used Humbrol paints in a spray brush ever and only use it very occasionally now for hand brushing and so cannot be of much help to you there. Can I persuade you to purchase some Tamiya paint and dilute it with Tamiya thinners at about 40% paint to 60% thinners or maybe 1/3rd paint to 2/3rd thinners (the paint should have the consistency of milk). If you give that a try and still have issues I may be able to help you further. I advise that you never thin paint with water unless it specifically states water can be used and even then it should be distilled water not tap water.

My last piece of advice is for the title of your thread, a lot of members will not read this as the title is not self explanatory. If you had titled this “help with a spray brush issue” more people will look at it and increase the likelihood of getting the answers you seek. Let me know how you get on.

I will definately give the Tamiya paints a go.
As a "born again modeller" I went with what I knew from the days when I used to make them, many, many years ago....... my bad!!!!

Apologies for the newbie mistake for the title. I assumed as I have put it under the catagory of "airbrushes" that would be ok. I will consider myself chastised

Will post again when I have had a go with the Tamiya paints
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:30 PM UTC
Terence;

Hi, fellow "long gone away (35 yrs) - recently returned to the hobby" modeler!

I used Humbrol enamels in the little tins back when from an old SA Badger airbrush. Worked OK thinned maybe 1:1 with typical thinners. Spin forward to today- I now use Tamiya acryls thinned with isopropyl alcohol and distilled water - typically near to 1:1 or to "milky consistency", and Testor's ModelMaster enamels and acryls thinned with appropriate. Almost never use water alone as a "thinner". I now use a top-load Iwata Eclipse AB or a Badger Patriot AB.

From what you have posted, it appears that you have used appropriate thinners with the Humbrol paints- albeit WAY TOO MUCH thinner for most cases. And you have worked around the air-pressue a bit. OVER-thinned paints can do what you have described (had this happen with overly-thinned Floquil enamels- where the vehicle lost its integrity and the pigment settled and clumped and clogged the tip repeatedly).

I also learned the hard way that paints need to be very well mixed before they spray well...

If you try Tamiya acryls thinned 1:1 with isopropyl or with Tamiya airbrush or acryl thinner, and your problem persists, I would say that your AB could be faulty.

I discovered that the needle and its nozzle-seat need to fit together very closely-a bent needle-tip or a cracked nozzle will wreck your spraying in ways similar to what you posted.

Give it a whirl with Tamiya or with Vallejo paints or with ModelMasters.

Good Luck and model on!

Bob
Ho55man
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 11:24 AM UTC
Finally found some time to have another go.
Got some Tamiya acrylic paints and EURIKA!!!! this WAS the problem.

Thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinners 1:1 and the airbrush is a dream to work with!!! Im like like a child with a new toy!!!

Having a serious go at a 21st Century Toys 1/32 scale ME109 armed with all of the theory that I can eat

Will post some photo's of the end result for more experienced eyes to cast over and hopefully give me some pointers.

Thanks a milllion to all for your advice and help, it is genuinely appreciated.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 12:38 PM UTC
I am glad it worked out for you and I look forward to seeing some of your work in the future.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Finally found some time to have another go.
Got some Tamiya acrylic paints and EURIKA!!!! this WAS the problem.

Thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinners 1:1 and the airbrush is a dream to work with!!! Im like like a child with a new toy!!!

Well that's right i'm happy for you...but if it works with Tamyia color it must to work also with well thinned Humbrol enamels...

That's incredible strange...
 _GOTOTOP