_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Recommendations in Edinburgh and Venray
Gddavis
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 04:12 PM UTC
Hi all,
I'm a new guy and just introduced myself in the "Introductions" forum. I'm popping over to Edinburgh Scotland and Venray Holland for 5 days next week and would like check out any good hobby shops in either area. Any recommendations? I also saw online that there is a tank museum near Venray. Anyone have any feedback on that?

Thanks,
Greg Davis
St. Petersburg, FL
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 05:36 AM UTC
Greg,

I've not been there (but I plan to when we make a trip to Scotland in 2011 or 12), but I have looked at Wonderland Models and conversed with them briefly via e-mail.

97 & 101 Lothian Road
Edinburgh, Scotland
United Kingdom EH3 9AN

Telephone 0131-229-6428 or 0131 229 0797 for mail order enquiries. Fax 0131-229-7625. Email [email protected].

I can't tell you anything for Holland...

Have a great and SAFE trip!
Marnix
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 799 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 06:07 AM UTC
Hi Greg,

About Venray: There's a very interesting museum near Venray, it's located in Overloon. There was quit a big, yet unknown battle in that area. Next to the museum you will find an interesting hobby shop. Hope this helps...

Greetings,

Max
Gddavis
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 01:17 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback! I'll check both places out next week.

Greg Davis
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 05:18 AM UTC
The museum is close to Venray in Overloon, just take the next exit on the A73 highway. The hobbyshop near the museum is, well, kind of crap. They used to have a lot of nice stuff, now they sell mostly toys. The only good modelshop in the area is in Venlo, about 25 minutes from Venray and is called Luthart, www.luthart.nl. They have a large collection of Dragon, Trumpeter, Tamiya, Hobbyboss etc...

I'm a local, so I know all about it

Matthijs
Stoottroeper
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,107 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hi Greg,

The museum at Overloon is great. It's the biggest in the Netherlands and they got an awful lot of stuff.
Here 's the link to the pictures I took there this year. I could have taken more, but the camera's battery ran flat . The later pictures were on a special day with driving WWII vehicles (they won't be there anymore).
If/When you go there, you might want to ask if Jimbrea still needs these pictures .

Another, though much, smaller museum nearby is: Bevrijdende Vleugels (Wings of Liberation) . This is in Best, about 50 km from Venray. The museum is placed on the heath were the 101 Airborne dropped in September '44. But then you'll need a car.

If you do have a car, you could also go to Verspaget , the biggest modelshop in Eindhoven (I know mostly train and RC on the website, but he sells Tamiya, Dragon, Italery, AFV and MiniArt.

Enjoy your stay, one last helpfull link

Peter
Gddavis
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 08:07 AM UTC
Thanks guys,
Great pics Peter! My schedule didn't allow me to get to the museum or the hobby shop beside it but I was able to stop in Venlo on my way back to the Dusseldorf airport today. The shop there was great and the person working was very helpful. I grabbed some MB figures and a HobbyBoss Pershing for the stash. I'll try the shop in Edinburgh tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help.

Greg
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 09:45 AM UTC
It's been a couple of years but I went to some model shop by the Edinburgh airport and was dissappointed.

If you tour the castle there are a couple of regimental shops with some armor books and there was a Scorpion tucked in by the exit to one of them.

And one of the days the TA had a couple of vehicles out on Princes Street for a recruitment drive..

Paul
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 461 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 05:21 AM UTC
I am a junior and live in Scotland and the best model shop, without a doubt is Wonderland. The staff are keen to help and stock a vast range of models. A word of warning, they have a stand in the middle of the long thin model section which makes looking at models akward when people try and squeeze past. The only other model shop in Edinburgh I now of is Harburn Hobbies. They mainly stock trains, but have a decnet amount of other kit and accessories.
Thanks
Euan
 _GOTOTOP