Compressor advice
danmo
Visit this Community
Ecuador
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hi!!

I just decided to buy a compressor and really nead advice!

I'm thinking on a Campbell Hauseld tankless 1.5 HP with regulating preassure. In the users guide it says that it is suitable for airbrush use, but I really want to be sure before expending my money.

Thanks

Danmo
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:03 AM UTC
I have a Campbell Hausfeld Compressor, with 2 gal. tank, pressure regulator, auto on/off. Works pretty well...sometimes adjusting the PSI is finicky, but other than that I love it. It cost me less than $100, and that makes the slightly noisier operation worth it compared to the $150-300 table top Badger compressor, plus its not on all the time!! Just my 2 ˘ worth!
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
Campbell & Hausfeld is a good brand and 1,5 HP is enough pressure. It would be better if it comes with a tank.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 678 Posts
KitMaker Network: 194 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:47 AM UTC
I have the Campbell Hausfeld with the 2 gallon tank and really like it, especially when the price is factored in.
danmo
Visit this Community
Ecuador
entire network: 92 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Campbell & Hausfeld is a good brand and 1,5 HP is enough pressure. It would be better if it comes with a tank.

Hi!

Thanks for answering!
just one last question: Why it would be better if comes with a tank? Sorry for being so newbie!

Danmo
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 03:23 PM UTC
Because it stores the air in the tank and it´s not working all the time, only when the pressure goes down under a predeterminated value.
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 323 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 05:46 PM UTC
I also have this Campbell Hauseld compressor with the tank, I did notice the regulator was a little touchy, so I just added another regulator with moisture trap mid line between tank and brush works great I love mine

Bender
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:10 AM UTC
Good luck trying to get one fixed. Campbell-Hausfeld doesn't pay their service centers enough to make it worth their time. Unless you have a parts pipeline and/or are mechanically inclines (as opposed to modelling inclined), consider them a throwaway. Watch the tanks for rusting. Drain them regularly.

Sealhead (Kansas sunflower)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:26 AM UTC
Wow, Seal, that is interesting. We make a lot of castings for Campbell Hausfeld at the foundry where I am the QAM. As tight as they are on us I would think that their customer service would be top of the line. I would hope the cast iron crackcases and pistons aren't wearing out, those are top notch, I swear. PM me and let me know what is up with CH. This may be fun.

Thanks,

Shaun
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good luck trying to get one fixed. Campbell-Hausfeld doesn't pay their service centers enough to make it worth their time. Unless you have a parts pipeline and/or are mechanically inclines (as opposed to modelling inclined), consider them a throwaway. Watch the tanks for rusting. Drain them regularly.

I have to second this. I had a CH compressor, for woodworking, for a year until it started to cut off on me. I opened it up and found out the fuse was blown. I replaced it and five minutes later it blew again. Nothing I could do would keep that fuse from blowing. Checked out the CH website to get a service center and called them. They basically told me what you said that the compressors were throw away, cost more to fix than to replace. I'm NOT mechanically inclined so I bought another. This one lasted a week before starting to do the same thing. I was surprised because I've always heard good things about CH. I splurged and got a Porter Cable six months, and one kitchen remodel, ago and haven't had any problems.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 02:53 PM UTC
Another factor on the need for a tank -
I learned it the hard way
When you dont have one your basically painting off the air pressure from the pump.
When you do have one the tank is your source, the pump is just keeping your tank above your preset threshold. Your air source is a STEADY pressure.
1.5 hp should be more than ample for a single airbrush though.
I learned this lesson a little 1/8hp tankless, and outgrew it my very first spray.
Great vendor, and was able to upgrade with no hassles.
It was quiet, but not up to the job.
Check my forum post about it
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/19464&page=1

Hope this helps your decision
Firemann816
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 04:12 PM UTC
G'day Danmo,

I've got the ABAC Pole Position which is 2HP Direct Drive with a 24litre tank. This is great for airbrushing and gives a nice constant pressure with little fuss. Like the others have mentioned, the tank is good as once it is filled, the compressor switches off.

Also, a compressor this size is great around the house and in the garage. Furthermore, you'll find that compressors this size are priced around the same mark as smaller compressors.

Cheers,

Cokes.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 12:58 AM UTC
Folks,
I am trying to put together some "honest" info on compressors as I have been around them in all phases for many years. As soon as I can figure out how to post the pictures, I'll do it. I have the text done.
One tip is that a single pressure regulating valve cannot steadily take you from 60-100 PSI down to 4 or 8 or whatever you want. Use TWO! Have the first one take you down to 10-15 PSI, then the next one, in series, can take you down to a "steady" and reliable whatever you want. Compressed air is made in pulses. A tank helps dampen them, but no single reguator can make that much of a pressure drop and hold it stead.y I use this technique in my buisiness all the time where we need to take plant air (1.e. 100 PSI) and bring it down to 4 -6 PSI. Two regulators.

Sealhead (Kansas sunflower)
 _GOTOTOP