Hosted by Matt Leese
MEK to clean your airbrush
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 12:15 PM UTC
I recently ran out of paint thinner and desparately needed to clean my airbrush. After ransacking the garage, the best I could come up with was MEK. It does not damage the teflon o-rings in the brush and you won't need to run much through it. About 15 seconds of spraying and your brush will be happy.
-Matt
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 04:00 PM UTC
Matt,

This may have worked in a pinch but it is a really, really bad idea to do as a regular practice. Have you ever read the MSDS for MEK? I would never atomize that stuff under any conditions. If you breathed this all the time, you couldn't count on healthy children, a steady hand, or a cancer free life. No kidding.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 09:42 PM UTC
I wear a protective mask. As for cancer, I am already a chain smoker. But, safety first, wear a protective mask.
-Matt

Quoted Text

Matt,

This may have worked in a pinch but it is a really, really bad idea to do as a regular practice. Have you ever read the MSDS for MEK? I would never atomize that stuff under any conditions. If you breathed this all the time, you couldn't count on healthy children, a steady hand, or a cancer free life. No kidding.

seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
entire network: 2,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 124 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 10:26 PM UTC
As Chemist that use MEK on a daily life, depending on the paint you are using. Ethanol or IPA will be better for clean up purpose.

Be careful
Cheers
Seb
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC
Matt I also use Mek for work and modelling may I suggest that you use a rag cloth or old towel up to the nozzel of the airbrush when cleanning out this helps reduce the vapour getting into the air around you and with the mask is twice the cover
Keith
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC
Wow! Don't folks use that stuff to thin model-cement and in place of "Tenex"?

Atomizing MEK into any sort of even remotely constrained air-space sounds like a big leap in glue-sniffing, to me!

SSGToms has noted the MSDS for MEK: It is worth looking at... things emerge from this like "do not breathe gas/fumes/vapor/spray, wear protoective clothing, .... use self-contained breathing apparatus...".

I use it inside only with really good ventilation. PLEASE be careful with it. IF you go with MEK in the AB: outside and shoot down-wind would probably be safest. Of course, your neighbors may take it badly...!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP