_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Reference Book Recommendations
nitescotsman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 42 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 05:43 PM UTC
Hi All,

I'm looking to start building up a reference library for my modeling builds. I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on particularly good books, publishers, or authors. I've heard of the Osprey series, but thats about it.

For a little background I focus mainly on WWII armor. I'd really like to get some good books on things like weathering techniques (things like whitewashing) and German camouflage patterns, and battle damage. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Russ
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 11:34 AM UTC
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how indepth you want in text & pictures. Osprey and the Squdron / Signal soft cover books (cheap)) have lots of good photos and color plates. The older ( 1970s , some still in print ) have questionable captions , so try to get newer series .. For battle damage photos try the Panzer Wreck series . Lots of guys on here swear by them.I don't have any but the reviews have looked real interesting. There are also lots of hard cover books ( big bucks ) , check out the review section on Armorama and Missing Linx . I think Osprey and S/S have How TOs on painting weathering and camo, again check for reviews .
I find it is better to find a hobby shop where you can flip through a book to see if it's got what you need. We've all got books with great covers and nothing of interest ( ie interiour shots or stowage diagrams , etc ) on the inside .
It might also help to know if you have particular vehicle in mind ,ie Tiger etc.
nitescotsman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 03:44 PM UTC
Thanks for the response Jim. I'm really just starting out so I'm looking for a couple good books to serve as a backbone for a library on which I can use as reference for a number of projects and builds. In that sense I guess they need to be versatile rather than limited to a single type of tank (though I am going to be building a Panther soon and I might want to pick up a book just for that).

Thanks for the suggestions on the Panzer Wrecks, as we as the Squadron and Osprey titles. The main problem I have is that I don't have a lot of LHS nearby, so it's difficult to go to a place and check out physical copies of hobby books. I'll make sure and check out the reviews section of the sites you mentioned and see what is favored.

Thanks again!
Russ
JanusAust
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 11:17 PM UTC
Also good for weathering is Migs book on weathering techniques; however, a lot of the techniques you can read about on the web for nix, and duplicate with a selection of coloured pencils and some fine sandpaper.....(to make weathering dust)

Compendium films also have a DVD series on the very topics you are interested in, and you get to see the 'How to' done in real time.

http://www.compendiumfilms.com/
on par with a book, and a nice change.

My two coins worth.....
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 11:27 PM UTC
Pretty much what Jim wrote on the Squadron and Osprey series. Osprey has some very good modelling manuals too, you should check some of those out. There are several different series, more general ones, more detailed ones and some subject specific (on particular vehicles). Check those here: http://www.ospreypublishing.com/modelling/

Also, one should mention Concord books. They are soft cover works with many, many high quality reference photos on all kinds of subjects. Check their homepage here: http://www.concord-publications.com/

HTH!
Cheers!
Stefan
nitescotsman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 - 08:57 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions! Those all look like good sources and I'm going to pick up a few as a start to my library. I'll check out those DVDs as well - it's always helpful to see the process in action.

Cheers,
RE
 _GOTOTOP