_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Please comment on my King Tiger
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:26 PM UTC
Guys: Just want to show you my King Tiger (90% completed ) any comment is very much welcome (including my sickly looking scratchbuilt tree )...The background is not a part of diorama but more of manila paper that I just found lying around....

sample image:

the rest of the pics can be found in http://groups.msn.com/armorama/kingtiger.msnw?Page=1

Thanks
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:51 PM UTC
Galeng! Nice clean build. Weathering's just right. Post mo sa Rivet Review
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 61 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 08:32 PM UTC
Swell job, Warthog! I really admire the mud texture you've applied under the hull. The "ambush scheme" camo is very nicely done. Looks like the tank just rolled of from the factory and went straight ahead to the battlefield (passing a muddy bog along the way).
crismag
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 280 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 08:51 PM UTC
NICELY DONE! i also like the tree
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 09:02 PM UTC
Jeep: I'm now tempted to post it in the Rivet review as you suggested, but first I'll get a more presentable picture. Thanks

Fairfax: Thanks for the comment...
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:30 PM UTC
Nice looking uber-tank! I like the angle of the shot also, since it conveys the deadliness of the tank's gun. And the tree ain't sickly looking. On the contrary, the straight trunk indicates it to be a strong and healthy one. :-)

What are you planning to use as groundwork? Plaster? Will this be a winter dio?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:08 AM UTC
Wow! I like the tree! Really! Ang ganda rin ng pagka camo mo. Also, the mud is convincing like real mud.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
Guys: I appreciate all your comments, especially about the tree.

The camo was blended using an oil wash ( I used talens odorless white spirit as artist oil thinner) -- I guess that is why it looks evenly painted. The mus is real mud which I got from our backyard. Its a mix of mud+water+elmers glue mixed to the consitency of starbuck's frapucchino. I also lightly dusted the tank with white pastel chalk mixed with the oil thinner. I used poster color for the rust w/c can be found mostly on the bolts used for the skirts.

The axe, spade and hammer was coated with aluminum tape for the metalic finish then washed with oil.

The tree was scratchbuilt (my first time to make a tree) using a branch from an aratelis tree and the leaves from the decorative plant I found in landmark (while waiting for my wife -- thanks to her). I patiently drilled holes to the trunk and glued each branch.

As for groundwork, gee I am not sure...but I'm planning to use plaster. Yes, probably a winter dio similar to the dio shown in the box, but with a little twist (I am planning to use the tree as an obstacle to the tank, rather than standing). Maybe I'll make an improved version of the tree in the picture.

I actually have not created a dio . GI do you have any idea where I could buy plaster here in PQUE, and what base for the dio do you use?

Thanks again guys for the positive comments.....
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The camo was blended using an oil wash ( I used talens odorless white spirit as artist oil thinner) -- I guess that is why it looks evenly painted. The mus is real mud which I got from our backyard. Its a mix of mud+water+elmers glue mixed to the consitency of starbuck's frapucchino. I also lightly dusted the tank with white pastel chalk mixed with the oil thinner. I used poster color for the rust w/c can be found mostly on the bolts used for the skirts.

Oh my brilliance! Hmm, so the camo, as I understand it was brush painted?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:06 PM UTC
Warthog: Try getting the plaster at hardware shops. I dunno if Builder's Depot at the Concha Cruz exit has plaster, but most probably it has. For the base, I just use ordinary plywood. As for the ground work, I got at JMN a nice material called Celluclay (which was featured in Paine's "How to Build Dioramas"). Unfortunately, JMN has no more stock of it (probably the guys at IPMS-Philippines bought the rest when I mentioned to one of them back at Motorex that I used Celluclay hehehehehe) It's used for paper mache, but works very nice as ground work. I haven't actually tried plaster, but Crismag has IIRC in his outstanding dioramas. Probably the reason why I didn't use plaster initially is because the thought that it might crack eventually. However, cost-wise, plaster is cheaper AFAIK, Celluclay being sold at JMN for P500.00 per half-kilo I think. I got a full pack of celluclay here but considering JMN's out-of-stock at the moment, I'm hoarding it hehehehe. Surely, JMN will have that back sooner-or-later, unless all of us create enough of a demand that they'll ASAP order some Celluclay. But plaster is equally good and cheaper, and Crismag as well as Blitz and Alabrador would have more info on how to use that as ground work.

With regard to the tree being an obstacle, how 'bout it being bent/broken by the King Tiger - bogging it down. The King Tiger was an impressive tank but had a lot of mobility issues and many were killed by smaller tanks simply because it bogged down after being stuck by a tree or some other obstacle.

I second Jomz' query - the camo - hand brushed?
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 432 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
Warthog.. galing I even check the rest of the pics... okay weathering .. by the way JOMZ it was not brush painted ..small roller brush was use...heheheh ask GI where he got his... :-)
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 432 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Warthog: Try getting the plaster at hardware shops. I dunno if Builder's Depot at the Concha Cruz exit has plaster, but most probably it has. For the base, I just use ordinary plywood. As for the ground work, I got at JMN a nice material called Celluclay (which was featured in Paine's "How to Build Dioramas"). Unfortunately, JMN has no more stock of it (probably the guys at IPMS-Philippines bought the rest when I mentioned to one of them back at Motorex that I used Celluclay hehehehehe) It's used for paper mache, but works very nice as ground work. I haven't actually tried plaster, but Crismag has IIRC in his outstanding dioramas. Probably the reason why I didn't use plaster initially is because the thought that it might crack eventually. However, cost-wise, plaster is cheaper AFAIK, Celluclay being sold at JMN for P500.00 per half-kilo I think. I got a full pack of celluclay here but considering JMN's out-of-stock at the moment, I'm hoarding it hehehehe. Surely, JMN will have that back sooner-or-later, unless all of us create enough of a demand that they'll ASAP order some Celluclay. But plaster is equally good and cheaper, and Crismag as well as Blitz and Alabrador would have more info on how to use that as ground work.

With regard to the tree being an obstacle, how 'bout it being bent/broken by the King Tiger - bogging it down. The King Tiger was an impressive tank but had a lot of mobility issues and many were killed by smaller tanks simply because it bogged down after being stuck by a tree or some other obstacle.

I second Jomz' query - the camo - hand brushed?

Warthog... styrofoam is another altenative.. sayang wala pa akong nakikita sa Pinas na Industrial foam or FOAMCORE.. hollywood modelmakers use these stuff alot..if it's not available there, you just have to do with our white styrofoam.. maybe a 2" thk. styrofoam and start carving.. if you need to add a layer just laminate the 2 styro with white glue..a cutter and a sandpaper is really handy pero I have to warn you about the dust.. so work safely..saka pala makalat so work outdoors ..and prepare your white glue with a 50/50 mixture of water applied to styro either add fine and course sand and small gravels pagtuyo na do some washes and drybrush with earth colours...advantage of the styro ..it's lightweight by the way. Sa SM Paranague di ba may STORYLAND.. definitely you guys are familiar with the place.. so all the ART work (Characters) are all done in STYRO on frames and were applied with resin...TEKA....kakain na kami...... teka here's one helpful link...
http://us.games-workshop.com/thelordoftherings/ca/twotowers/hobby/terrain/terrain.htm
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 08:56 PM UTC
Now that's a great tip Blitz! Considering practically everything electronic has styrofoam packaging - and that's already thick - one can make small hills and other "extreme terrain" effects.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now that's a great tip Blitz! Considering practically everything electronic has styrofoam packaging - and that's already thick - one can make small hills and other "extreme terrain" effects.

I was able to chance on watching one of those "Making of..." shows on TV, don't recall which particular movie it was made for -- but I remember the sculptors having these steel-brushes/steel-scrapers which they used in carving out a figures face, some terrain and what have you. Just something off the top of my head. NBS also has styro for sale, but I doubt these could be useful for modelers, as the choices are limited to various-sized balls and some flat-styro-foam.

My tita is an architect, and I've seen some of the diorama's they use for Open-House-Displays, have cork-board for their bases, multi-layered of course, but I doubt cork-board would have any adherence to plaster-of-paris or any terrain-making solution, as these stuff could seep thru the cork-board? (++)

My 2-cents.

Oh! shonen, ginamit ni blitz roller, bili ka sa kanya.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:16 PM UTC
GI: The camo was painted using AB (crecendo 175 small tip) . Hand brushing was done only for the oil wash in order to make the camo colors blend evenly .

I've read about celluclay, but its very costly and I heard that there is a cartel out there controling it. Thanks for those inputs regarding the dio materials.

Blitz: Good suggestion, I'll also look into using styrofoam coz your right its lighter and cheaper......

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:23 PM UTC
A Crescendo? Same AB over here, although I only gots 1 tip (Medium).

A cartel on Celluclay? Susginuooo! Pati ba yan, kina-cartel-cartel pa?!?
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:50 PM UTC
Oh I'm liking the discussion going on here -- lots of input. Few questions off the top of my head tho:

With regards to the AB Tips, how much kaya isa niyan, and what are the varying sizes? If any?

This afternoon I tried painting a 'faded-maong' finish on one of the Dragon figures I have, 'til now the paint hasn't dried yet. What're the standard drying times? for oil paints.

Oh and last but not the least, correct me if I'm wrong: but does Payne's Grey border on looking like having a Gunmetal finish.

*Yes I've been collecting some oil paints for the past week. Har Har! I've chanced on tubes costing at Php 31.00 a pop! Hehe! :-)
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:56 AM UTC
GI: The cartel people are hoarding daw the celluclay...he he he...

Jomz:
1) The cost of a needle depends on the brand of AB. The Badger AB needle I think costs Php 100+ last I saw in St. Patrick's in Makati.
2) If you paint (not wash) using oil, you should give it at least 48hrs to dry to be safe. Oil paints are very good to use for skin tones of figures because they don't dry easily thus having the ability to blend...
3) The oil paint I use is very cheap -- they are called Artist's Oils (usually used for beginners or students), I bought my set in national for Php 147.00 (12 tubes already). The brand is Art Studio. What medium do you use Laquer, Linseed oil or mineral spirits?

Additonal Pictures of the King Tiger:

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:05 AM UTC
Tips are expensive - at least what I've seen available at NBS. They go for P250 to P500 I think, not sure. Best bet is to follow Blitz' leads in your thread, Jomz, as well as the Stores thread about where to get the airbrush parts. I've been wanting to get meself a fine and large tip as well. As for the Crescendo, IIRC it's not just a matter of changing tips, but also the needle as well - am I right Warthog? And, there's also another part of the Crescendo other than the tip that needs changing as well I reckon. So that's 3 parts per size, 9 total IIRC. (Warthog, please correct me if I'm wrong as I only have 1 tip and don't have the manual with me right now) Aztek users (like Jeep) are lucky. Their needles are built-in with the tip - so it's just one contained unit.

With regard to oil paints, AFAIK drying time for them is quite long. I remember trying to paint figures using oil paints. After leaving them for 3 days alone, I touched the painted areas to see if they're dry. Nope they weren't to my dismay hehehe. Depends as well on how thick or thin the paint is. I heard, though, that to speed up the process, you put them under a heat source, like a light bulb or so. Warm enough to dry them, but not too much as to melt the model. The measure is, so they say, if it's too warm for your hand, it's too warm for your model.

As for the other inquiry, sorry can't help. Is that an oil color - Payne's Grey? Anyway, my rule of thumb for painting is - if it looks right, it is right. :-)
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:38 AM UTC
Thanks warthog and GI!

Oh there's a St. Patricks in Makati, maybe I wasn't paying too much attention in the 'store-thread'. Could you specify the coordinates wherein the silo of AB's is located?

GI -- it's an oil colour. Check it out if you pass by NBS.

Wart (hehe) -- you lost me here: "The brand is Art Studio. What medium do you use Laquer, Linseed oil or mineral spirits?"
-- über nice pics you took there, what camera are you using, and are those the picture-holder tow-cables?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:18 AM UTC
WOW! I love the weathering! Damn impressive work Warthog! I hope to see it "in the flesh", perhaps an eyeball tomorrow at Richie Rich? You too, Jomz, IIRC you live nearby, right?
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW! I love the weathering! Damn impressive work Warthog! I hope to see it "in the flesh", perhaps an eyeball tomorrow at Richie Rich? You too, Jomz, IIRC you live nearby, right?

Uy Richie Ritz boys! hehe! You know the place ren pala. Alas my comrades, I have a MAJOR finals exam on Monday, hence I've confined myself to the house for the weekend. It's a major subject, and encompasses oh around 10 chapters. Hehe! So maybe I'll take a raincheck on this one. Would love to see this in the "flesh", too.

How IS Richie Ritz nowadays? Last time I dropped by there was oh, over more than a year ago IIRC.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC
Then what are you doing staying up at around 2230 by this post, posting at Armorama when you've got exams? Hahahahahaha!

Richie Rich is still same same. They however transferred the model shop section upstairs, the bottom being for car audio accessories and such. The kits there are doubtless the same ones you saw there last year - minus several which yours truly purchased hehehehe. Most of the prices there are higher compared to the rest, but there are some that I got for 10, 20, even 50 peso discount. Also, the BMP-1 I got from there was cheaper by P100 compared to JMN - decals lang nga are old, but I won't be using it naman hehehe.
I'm very much interested in their Macross Super Valkryie kit. IIRC, it has PE and other metal parts and looks impressive. Pricey though - like most sci-fi models.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:48 AM UTC
Haha! Shhh!! It's called procrastination, which I'm sure you know how this comes to a person. Hehe! We're just human, and besides this is better than computing for burst-times, and figuring out the nooks and crannies of an operating system! hehe!

Haha! I wasn't able to look around the last time I was in Richie Ritz, since I was looking for cars, which they didn't carry. Although I was always interested in WWII models, so I looked around na ren, but didn't get down to memorizing everything which was there.

I'm off to study now. Leaving Combat Mission to finish downloading.

Quoted Text

Then what are you doing staying up at around 2230 by this post, posting at Armorama when you've got exams? Hahahahahaha!

Richie Rich is still same same. They however transferred the model shop section upstairs, the bottom being for car audio accessories and such. The kits there are doubtless the same ones you saw there last year - minus several which yours truly purchased hehehehe. Most of the prices there are higher compared to the rest, but there are some that I got for 10, 20, even 50 peso discount. Also, the BMP-1 I got from there was cheaper by P100 compared to JMN - decals lang nga are old, but I won't be using it naman hehehe.
I'm very much interested in their Macross Super Valkryie kit. IIRC, it has PE and other metal parts and looks impressive. Pricey though - like most sci-fi models.

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:56 AM UTC
Ah yes, procrastination. Affects everyone. :-) What's worse than posting at Armorama days prior to the exam is posting at Armorama ON THE EXAM DAY - which I must say I'm guilty of doing so... sigh... hehehehehe :-)

Good luck in the exams!
 _GOTOTOP