_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
The Pleasure Factor
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 02:11 PM UTC
Ians post on research sort of leads to the next question,

'What aspect of modelling gives you the most enjoyment?'

For me it would be; -

Research 50%
Kit build 10%
Scratchbuilding/detailing 30%
Painting 10%
Completing/Displaying 0%

I could save a lot of money if I just stuck to research!

Regards Dave
Paul_Owen
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 140 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:20 PM UTC
I enjoy fixing every little inaccuracy in a kit, as some would call it "rivet counting". Building OOTB is no challenge, hence no fun, for me at all. I also prefer to work with what is given in the kit rather than purchase "upgrades", which are not always accurate.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:36 PM UTC
Just watching all those bits of metal and plastic and resin come to life as I put them together and add paints and the base. Watching a piece of metal or resin suddnely look like real human flesh, with its warmth and depth, just makes my day.

What is not fun is fixing those bleeding engineering problems the manufacurers didn't have the personal integrity to fix, such as major league seams and poor parts fit. I can live with a dimensionally inaccurate Sherman that looks like a Sherman but when two parts need a tube of Squadron Green Stuff and $10 worth of sand paper to correct, it just really fries me.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:47 PM UTC
Buying (Kits/AM/reference) 30%
Building 20%
Painting/weathering 40%
Displaying/Vaining 10%

Listen to people put deep philosophical thoughts and analysis the hobby --------- Priceless.

#:-)
mavrick1124
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:26 PM UTC
Building-40% , Paniting 30% , Decal and Weathering-30% , having something to block out the "Old Lady" in the evenings ----------NOT MEASURABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just seeing it come together the satisfaction of the finish.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:30 PM UTC
For me, I love to do cockpits. And the other thing that I really like to do on all of my models, is put on a really nice paint job. But seeing the finished product is also rated very high on my list.

~Chip :-)
Noodles
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
entire network: 75 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:28 AM UTC
I like finishing.It feels good to finally get the final piece together and looking as it's meant to .
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
Buying 50% - When I see the kit finished with all that it involves in the midle 50%.
MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:13 AM UTC
Building 40%
Painting 40%
Scratch 20%
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:20 AM UTC
Building is always the most pleasurable part. That includes doing the small details (tie downs, replacing the plastic handles/rails with metal, etc.). OOTB is also fun as a stress reliever (you don't have to worry about flying PE that gets eaten by The Void #:-) ).

Painting, well... I suck at painting. :-) Really, I do. And I get laaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyy when I have finished building the kit.
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:25 AM UTC
Research - 20%
Buying - 30%
Building - 30%
Painting & finishing - 30%
Doing the math - 0.0005% :-)
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:57 AM UTC
Buying 0%
Research 25%
Building 20%
Painting 50%
Weathering 50%
Finding out I "blew it" in Rivet Review (45%)

ps: Guess I should beef up that research part (lol)
Steve
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC

Research 25%
Kit build 10%
Scratchbuilding/detailing 30%
Painting 30%
Completing/Displaying 5%

That's pretty much where it stacks up for me. Some projects score even more in the Build, Detailing, and Painting areas for subjects I really get into - like for everyone else I'd bet.

Gunnie
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC
This is my "Hti parade":
For me it would be; -

Research 10% (I build subjects I'm quite familiar with)
Kit build 20%
Scratchbuilding/detailing 65%
Painting 0%
Completing/Displaying 5%

Ciao
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Listen to people put deep philosophical thoughts and analysis the hobby --------- Priceless.

Are you making fun of us Dave?!?

Gunnie
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 04:58 AM UTC
You know, not everybody mentioned this but buying the kit HAS to rank pretty high up there. How else can you explain why people have so many more kits than they can ever possibly finish? I really do enjoy the buying process, reading reviews, checking online stores, looking for deals on ebay, haunting the local hobby stores. To me that is pretty fun. Then after I get the kit I get to open it for the first time, after reading everything on the box first of course. I'm like a kid with a new toy! My wife and kids even comment on it, "Daddy's got a new model."

After the initial purchase then comes everything leading up to actually building it. Planning on how I'm going to build the thing, what colors to paint it, if I'm going to modify it at all, even which one of several versions in the kit I might make. This might also include gathering any research info I need.

Finally there is the actual modeling. For me actually building the model is a necessary evil, especially the road wheels and suspension. I try to get past this point as quickly as possible. Then comes the real fun, painting and weathering. This is my favorite part after purchase. After I've finished painting and weathering I can display the kit, which I get a lot of fun out of, while working on a diorama or base for it.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hi. For me most of the pleasure comes in the actual building of the kit itself. I like to see all those little bits and pieces, whether plastic, resin, PE, tissue, etc., come together, creating 'something out of nothing' so to speak. It's one thing to read about certain aspects of the vehicles and look at the photos of the detail items that were made into them or used on them, but to sit down and actually put something together that resembles the subject matter at hand gives an individual a tad bit of a different perspective on the actual thing and how it was used during it's heyday in history.

I think we all get off on the buying thing. We are all heavily influenced by box art. Esp. if it's subject matter that we are really interested in to begin with.

And a combination of these two items above leads a lot of us to buy way more than we may ever get put together. And for me at least, this puts a pressure on to get them all built, so I sometimes find myself rushing things a tad bit, and that is where I usually make my biggest mistakes. My really big downfall is the painting and that comes from being too critical of my abilities when compared to others out there. I tend to forget at times that I do this hobby for self-gratification, so no matter how it comes out in the end, it gives me pleasure to do it anyway. And that's the really important thing, for me anyway.

Take care, sgirty
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 10:58 AM UTC
Buying the kit--------5%
Opening the kit (after finnally remembering I had it}--25%
Building---------------40 %
Painting--------------20%
Digging into the pile foe the NEXT one-------5%

(++) (++)
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi. For me most of the pleasure comes in the actual building of the kit itself. I like to see all those little bits and pieces, whether plastic, resin, PE, tissue, etc., come together, creating 'something out of nothing' so to speak. It's one thing to read about certain aspects of the vehicles and look at the photos of the detail items that were made into them or used on them, but to sit down and actually put something together that resembles the subject matter at hand gives an individual a tad bit of a different perspective on the actual thing and how it was used during it's heyday in history.

I think we all get off on the buying thing. We are all heavily influenced by box art. Esp. if it's subject matter that we are really interested in to begin with.

And a combination of these two items above leads a lot of us to buy way more than we may ever get put together. And for me at least, this puts a pressure on to get them all built, so I sometimes find myself rushing things a tad bit, and that is where I usually make my biggest mistakes. My really big downfall is the painting and that comes from being too critical of my abilities when compared to others out there. I tend to forget at times that I do this hobby for self-gratification, so no matter how it comes out in the end, it gives me pleasure to do it anyway. And that's the really important thing, for me anyway.

Take care, sgirty

Couldn't agree more. I am like a little kid when I open the kit for the first time!
 _GOTOTOP