_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Best Hobby Shop in US?
aspat7
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 06:39 PM UTC
Any advice on where the best hobby shop -for Military Models 1/35th scale- is in the US?

Getting back into the hobby and am based in Northern California.

All shops in this area seem to have poor selection of models,supplies paints etc.

I don't want to order everything online.

Any advice appreciated.

Best

Pat
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:04 AM UTC
Pat;

IS there a "best"?

If you are talking "brick and...", I am sure we all have our local, and sometimes much further away, fav places to go and drop cash... To me? I have real favs in AZ, CA, LA, NY/NYC, TX... Each is a local "best" to visit whenever I'm in that area! Probably most traveling modelers have some similar "best" store(s) to go to. But I'll bet my "LHS" prefs would be of little help to you!

I, perhaps like many, do a lot of my biz over the internet and at shows. Now, if you were asking for "e-recommendations"... I'm sure that folks would have lots of good opinions and recommendations for "better dealers and service", etc.!

For some good advice on your "local" brick-HS; I think that if you narrow down a target location, someone will post it!

Cheers!

Bob
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 05:08 AM UTC
spruebrothers and squadron rank pretty high amongst most on the site.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 05:58 AM UTC
I shop around with some of the online shops as there is no LHS close by. I find the best selection and prices at the shows I attend and here on Armorama-Buy/Sell/Trade Fourm. Hope this helps. milvehfan
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 06:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

spruebrothers and squadron rank pretty high amongst most on the site.

If Squadron does hold that distinction, then the next time you call in an order please do me a favor and ask them why they don't advertise here. You would think they would want to connect to such a large community of modelers.

Jim
aspat7
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 11:47 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies.

I'm actually looking for what people consider the best brick and mortar store in the US. (Specifically for military modelling)

(I travel around quite a bit and don't care which state.)

It seems to me that most retail model stores have just a tiny military modelling section. (I'm trying to avoid always having to go online.)

Years ago (late 70's) there was a fantastic 3 story hobby store in NYC called Polk Street Hobbies. It had almost a full floor dedicated to military miniature models. It of course no longer exists.

Here in Northern California most retail hobby shops are more dedicated to RR or RC with only a small section for military models.

I guess the best place these days to go and see actual product is -as one commenter suggested-a big national IPMS convention.

Thanks again

Pat
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 01:38 AM UTC
Pat;

OK, so you ARE looking for the "best" brick and mortar stores...

I still think that "Best" is at the least a really difficult and personal-fav-laden question!

But, if you are looking for GOOD B&M stores with good military model presence and support...

"Free plugs and adverts for a couple of my favs":

When in greater Phoenix AZ, I like to hit up Andy's HobbyHeadQuarters (ca 15500 N on 59th in Glendale AZ): kinda small as stores go, plastic and paint and books and PE and scratch materials and good tool selection, knowledgeable on the kits, good prices, mostly military - armour, planes, boats - carries lots of Dragon, Tamiya, AFV Club, Italeri, Bronco, HobbyBoss, and various other brands. And he'll go extra miles for you as a customer. I've never gone in the door without buying something!

Metro Phoenix has at least a couple other stores - and each has some good stuff - I've been in most and bought stuff - so a visit in the Valley of the Sun is not a hobby-desert. But beware... it's like metro LA... really wide and you'll drive around for hours. Check the Yelow Pages.

Over in NYC... I go to the upper East Side- Lexington near 93rd. There is an old model shop - don't recall the name but he's been there for maybe 30 years+! Just crammed with military plastic; a GREAT and diverse selection of armour, PLANES (many), boats, and paints and best tools and materials I've found in The City. This guy has all sorts of oddball and off-brand and old stuff as well as the current kits. Knows the kits and builds a LOT. There's a least one other good hobby store downtown NYC- check the Yellow Pages (there are very few such places anymore- under "hobby")- lots of trains and stuff and great materials and parts- and some diversity in the mil-kits.

The boys in my local club (Lafayette, LA) are fans of Squadron, up in greater Dallas,TX area. Never been, myself, but heard they have a pretty huge kit selection, lots of sales, great book section, etc.

Find yourself in those areas, you may find a visit worth your while.

Just my personal opines, of course!

Bob
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 05:20 AM UTC
Yanni's Hobbies in Mountain View, California. I have been doing business with him for years, and his personal special interest is armor. Best in kits and knowledge. Also, an advertiser on this site. Check him out. Good guy, honest, great modeler.

Matt
aspat7
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 08:32 AM UTC
Great info. Exactly what 'm looking for.

Gonna check out the mountain view store and that one in NYC when I'm there. (didn't know it existed.)

Thanks for the replies

Best

Pat
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 12:31 PM UTC
The NYC store Bob was referring to is Jan's Hobby Shop, 1435 Lexington Ave # 2, between 93rd and 94th.

Another NYC shop is the Red Caboose, 23 West 45th, down in the basement. Lots of train stuff but a fairly decent sized selection of plastic too (wheels, wings and treads).

Both shops suffer from "NYC pricing" and neither has very much, if any, resin or PE aftermarket. Maybe just a few Verlinden or Warriors items. Still, I enjoying going to Jan's to pick up supplies (paint etc.) and to check out the latest releases.

However, if you find yourself able to make it out to Long Island, head out to Bayshore Hobbies, 2054 Sunrise Hwy, Bayshore, NY, 631--968-8547. It's about a one hour drive from NYC but it is totally worth it. Shelves jam packed with armor (winged stuff too). In fact, it is so full that kits are piled from the floor to shoulder height in front of the shelves. The also have lots of aftermarket and tons of resin figures. You'll need plenty of time (seriously, hours) to go through the stuff.

This summer I found a place while vacationing in Newport, RI, AA Hobbies in Warwick. Lots of armor aftermarket goodies.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 04:50 PM UTC
Thanks, Sherb!

You got it! Jan's and the Red Caboose (that's the other place I was refing in NYC)! Those names had slipped whatever little mind I have left (it's the glue, mates, the glue)!

I used to live out in Huntington, Long Island - back in the 90's. Didn't know that there was any store down in Bayshore- but wasn't looking, either, so... Sounds like a good place to visit!

As to the "NYC pricing"... It's the price of convenience! I figure that when I am in the City, those places are a short ride or even a nice walk from my place there- so the price is not so bad... as versus the time and cost of, say, going out to Bayshore!

Cheers!

Bob
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 03:34 AM UTC
Bob, you're absolutely correct about the price of convenience. Truth be told, I'd rather pay a couple extra bucks to the local guy to help keep the brick and mortar hobby shop in business.

There is something special about walking out of a hobby shop with a new kit under your arm. Opening a package, even if it's just 2-3 days after ordering it, just isn't the same.

Sorry, for straying.
 _GOTOTOP