_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
isopropanol as universal thinner
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 01:03 AM UTC
I have recently used Tamiya acryl for the first time. Isopropanol turned out to be a very good thinner.

and I tried an enamel with isopropanol and this worked very good as well.

Iso prop is cheap, widely available, limited or no health risks, can also be used to clean models before painting, or to clean the airbrush....

Can we throw away our whole box of thinners and use this alcohol as universal thinner??
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC
In a word.... NO

Don't even think of trying vallejo with IPA, all you will get is a slimey lump, not good if you mix in your airbrush cup.

I know i'm odd, but i tend to use the manufacturers thinner for most things, with the exception of enamels, wehre i use lacquer (cellulose) thinners, which can also do tamiya, but it does smell a bit!!!

Andy
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 01:53 AM UTC
Andy.....not odd at all using the manufacturer's thinner for their paint.

I too used to use Iso Alcohol with my Tamiya (back when I used Tamiya, as I now use Vallejo about 99% of the time), but I always found that the paint would dry before getting to the kit, or even worse dry in the airbrush. Always too cheap to make the leap to using the Tamiya acrylic thinner. However one day I decided to "splurge" and got some Tamiya thinner, and I didn't know what I had been missing....it worked so much better than Iso did.

Same with Vallejo, while you can thin it with water, it works so much better with their own thinner. My one complaint was the thinner didn't come in big enough bottles. I had asked Alex Vallejo about it, and he said that they did make a 200ml bottle, but neither of my suppliers carried it. I talked one of my suppliers into bringing it in (hopefully more than just me buys it!! LOL), so the 200ml thinner should be available at my shop soon (and more economical too).

I have now read that there are some Japanese modelers that have a "secret" (guess not so secret as I am about to tell it) formula to thinning Vallejo.

Instead of straight thinner, they actually take 8 parts Vallejo Acrylic Cleaner, and mix it with 2 parts Vallejo Thinner, and then take that mixture and thin the Vallejo paint with it. While I am skeptical about it, I am going to try it, I would imagine it is like someone telling you that they are using Lacquer thinner to thin Tamiya Acrylics.....doesn't make sense, but it works very well!

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 07:15 AM UTC
I use cheap blue windshield washer fluid to thin Tamiya, Model Master Acryl, and Pollyscale.
I use distilled water and a drop of Liquitex Slo-Dri to thin Vallejo and Lifecolor.
I only shoot acrylics. I use Windex, then distilled water, to clean out my airbrushes.
It all works incredibly well and it's very inexpensive.
Paul-H
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 234 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi

For Tamiya I use IPA and have found both 70% rubbing and full 99% to work just fine.

For Vallejo I have used both water and their own thinner but find that using vallejo airbrush cleaner works best.

For Humbrol I use generic enamel thinners or white spirit (Mineral Spirit), Cellulose works well also but realy stinks the house out.

Paul
mtnflyer
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 394 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 09:29 AM UTC
Of late, I've been using Tamiya paints, along with Tamiya thinner to both thin and initially clean the air-brush. After reading this post, I ran down to the store and picked up 2 x 500ml bottles of Isopropyl for $3.00. Far cheaper than the Tamiya thinner. One is 70% and the other is the 99%.

Going to give it a try. Guess I'll find out if it works to thin and clean PollyScale acrylic, as I have lots of that as well.

Guy
 _GOTOTOP