_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
NZ Equipment in North Africa
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 224 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 11:26 PM UTC
Hi all, first post on the New Zealand forum! I'am planning to do some kiwi equipment for the "Land Down Under" (Aust./NZ) campaign that starts on ANZAC day next year and was wondering if anyone could help with a coupla questions I have about kits I'm looking at using.

I have a 1:72 Dragon Sherman Mk.III (2007) i picked up recently,is this the sherman used by the NZ division in North Africa/Tunisia??? And if so could anyone point me in the direction of unit markings/paint schemes?

I have also been looking at the 1:72 IBG truck releases of the Chevrolet C15 series. I believe these were used by NZ (and Aust.) units in North Africa?
Did they use both the no.11 and no.13 cabs? And again if anyone has any info. on paint colours, (same as British)?
I'am looking at doing an Infantry lorry belonging to the 28th Maori Battalion, for something a bit different. I recently picked up some Aust./NZ decals from Milicast while i was in Scotland and they have the 28th unit markings as white 38 in black square?

One final question, the decal sheet has silver ferns in black squares and black circles,are these year or equipment specific?

Sorry to ask so many questions but though it better to ask than just take a "guess". Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I've just got back in to modeling this year after a many years away and was stoked to see all the potential Aussie and Kiwi vehicles that could be done now with all the new kits and companies around. When I was last modeling it was just airfix,matchbox and esci. How times have changed!

Cheers,

Bugger. That was obviously supposed to be on the NZ community forum......
If anyone can help with these questions or suggest how I could post this on the right forum that'd be great!
RolfvD
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a 1:72 Dragon Sherman Mk.III (2007) i picked up recently,is this the sherman used by the NZ division in North Africa/Tunisia??? And if so could anyone point me in the direction of unit markings/paint schemes?!

As far as I am aware, the Sherman III was only used in North Africa by the Kiwis for training purposes, i.e. never in action. Only used in action in Italy.

Cheers fro godzone
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 224 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 09:50 PM UTC
Thanks mate.Just found some info today that NZ division only had Div. Cav. in North Africa so a Sherman III in Italy it is then!
Cheers,
 _GOTOTOP