_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
my new mancave
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hi All,

After living 8 years in a 50m2 flat and spending hours of modelling in my bedroom (and sleeping in clouds of dust and toxic fumes) I am pleased to show all of you my new mancave, which is actually on the 1st floor of my new house. And since there is no SWMBO in my life, I can do with it what I want

What do you guys think?

BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 09:46 AM UTC
nice ! theres a lot of great natural light coming in , put up updates on construction ,im redoing the 4 rooms in the basement and need some ideas .
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 10:18 AM UTC
Lots of nice natural light and great possibilities! Have fun fixing it up which ever way you want
Please share your progress with us.

Darryl
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,854 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 07:28 PM UTC
Great stuff Mat! Looking forward to see how this turns out
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 07:57 PM UTC
loads of potential, think it well over before putting too much stuff in there !

Congrats/Jan
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 02:29 AM UTC
That's nice...lots of possiblities. Got a place planned out for the hole thru the wall for the paintbooth exhaust tube?
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi guys,

the contractor needs 2 more months to finish te rest of the house. After that I will have all the walls plastered white. I will put the cabinets for my models against the wall (I have 5 at about 1 meter wide each). My workbench position I am not sure of yet, I have to check which corner gives the best lighting. I still have to work out were to store my modelling stuff, my compressor and where to put the spray booth (still have to buy one). Next to the room shown on the picture is another smaller room where I will put my "regular" workbench with my powertools and so on. My LHS will start to sell Proxxon tools soon

The biggest problem for me is to decide what to put on the floor. The modeller in me wants a smooth surface since I don't want the carpet monsters to move with me. However, I will also do some training in the room and a smooth floor is terrible for that. I practise martial arts and that involves a lot of turning on your feet. With a smooth floor, your foot tends to stick to it, while your body turns (auch). I think I will put carpet everywhere and I will put something we call "linoleum" over it under the workbench when I start to model. I can roll it back up and put it somewhere when I'm finished

I don't know about you guys, but many years of modelling has taught me to put as little stuff on the floor as possible (furniture, boxes, plants etc) since the small parts seems to pulled to those object by their apparantly huge gravitational force (as huge as in a black hole, which might explain why parts always disappear, let's ask Stephen Hawking). So my goal will be to have nothing standing on the floor except for my cabinets and a chair.

cheers,

Matthijs
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC
Well I don“t know Mat, I still think a smooth floor - maybe some kind of hardwood would be much nicer and make cleaning and finding much easier.

You could put a table up all the way around the outer wall, that way you will have a paint, build and computer station.

Cheers/Jan
ColonelRoberts
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 09:52 AM UTC
man what I could do with a area that big. Her in the states we can get rubber mating that interlocks. That would work good for your work out area. I too train in the martial arts and have used them for years. They are not good for practicing falls. But they work good for the Kata's. then you could use linoleum in the other areas.

You could break the whole area up into different flooring so your work out area and modeling are two different flooring types. Good luck on it and hope to see pics of the finished construction.
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
entire network: 702 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 05:19 AM UTC
No SWMBO, Mat??! I envy you sooo bad.. All that space for you and your kits only.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 05:52 AM UTC
Congrats,you should be able to do a lot with that.here's my humble area,maybe it could give you some idea's

mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 08:14 AM UTC
Well,

there is no SWMBO but there is always a mother the one that kicked me out of her house when I was 21 and now wants to know exactly where every brick is placed in my new house

As far as the floor goes, wood would indeed be a good option Jan, but here it costs a fortune. I have to check if that fits in my budget. On top of that I could put in my training area some rubber matting as Bruce suggested. Todays training was again painful since our master makes us do acrobatic stuff on a hard floor ("if you feel pain, you are not doing the technique correctly ")

I think I will make a table from one side to the other, underneath I will hang some drawers just like Anthony has. It is much better than piles of boxes with paint and parts. By the way, did you alreay build that F-14A Anthony? It's an oldy but mine came out quite nice, rescribing the panel lines was less fun

cheers,

Matthijs
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:52 AM UTC
Wow Matthijs,You noticed the box,thats funny,I build that kit back in the mid 1980's as a beginner and it is long gone now ,but I held on to the large box and use it for my spare parts box.

Anthony
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 367 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:01 AM UTC
Carpet!!

I would vote carpet. I live in a small apartment now with wood floors. Sometimes the parts fall between the cracks or lay flat and are hard to find. Also, they will have a softer landing

Carpets to me are so much more comfortable. I would always worry about spilling paint, but oh well. I would prefer comfort.

This guys does it in his living room with kakis and a sweater. I don't think he worries about the carpet monster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcE9TyCHDbY&feature=related
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hi guys,

an update on my new mancave. Things were going very slow with my house. Wrong parts delivered for the kitchen, delays with plastering, the furniture I ordered burned down before it even got to my home

So finally I could do something about the cave. This is the entrance. I chose for carpet tiles on the non training part of the room, the remaining part will get some concrete paint.

my old rowing machine, but it still does it's job

This is a look into the modelling part, The cabinets from my old flat did not fit up the stairs so I had to cut off one level. Arranging them like this reduces the chance of kicking in the glass whilst training

Here I will make my workbench, It has great light and there is heating for those cold winter nights

some views of the stuff I made. I'm especially proud of my 1:350 scale models of the Royal Dutch Navy

some big wingy thingies

Hope you like it

cheers,

Matthijs
 _GOTOTOP