_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Need Help For My Warships
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 61 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:51 AM UTC
I'm also into warship modeling, particularly on the 1/350 scale types. Was wondering if any of you know where one can also purchase aftermarket accessories for ship models (Gold Medal brand, probably) here? Just in case lang. Sayang kasi since I recently bought two (2) Tamiya battleships, the Yamato & the Bismarck :-)
jomz
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm also into warship modeling, particularly on the 1/350 scale types. Was wondering if any of you know where one can also purchase aftermarket accessories for ship models (Gold Medal brand, probably) here? Just in case lang. Sayang kasi since I recently bought two (2) Tamiya battleships, the Yamato & the Bismarck :-)

Hmmm....oo nga noh, haven't seen any AM parts for ships. I'll make sure to look out for some the next time I drop by a model-shop. On the topic of ships, last time I was in Lil's, there was a new shipment of ships ah, mahal nga eh! One went for around Php 3,995 same price as the Leopold. Hehe! Oh well. Good luck, and I'll make sure to keep an eye out.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
Try looking for "palin" at http://www.pinoyexchange.com . He's a modeler who specializes in ship kits. I think he orders PE from http://www.hlj.com . Shipping's not that expensive for PE.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Try looking for "palin" at http://www.pinoyexchange.com . He's a modeler who specializes in ship kits. I think he orders PE from http://www.hlj.com . Shipping's not that expensive for PE.

Wala pa ba dito si bossing palin?
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:10 PM UTC
Sumilip lang once. Di na rin sya nagpo-post sa PEx. Busy ata
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 06:53 PM UTC
Already registered at PEx to talk to Palin. Does he buy through HLJ & then re-sell to other modelers? Tedious kasi to do it on your own.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:19 PM UTC
I'm not really sure. He was asking about who wanted to order to save on shipping costs.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:04 PM UTC
Meron mga AM parts sa JMN (Harrison Plaza). Check mo kung nandoon kailangan mo.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:25 AM UTC
There are none at JMN. The only PE there are for aircraft, especially WW2 types. Your best bet is Palin or getting it online.

I meself am still waiting for my former officemate's cousin's order for the Musashi PE from GMM. It's been 2 years already. Methinks he was either a victim of credit card fraud or didn't order it on me behalf at all.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:07 AM UTC
Wala ba? Hmmm.... oh well. Why buy when you can scratchbuild? Try doing it first and if it doesn't go the way you wanted, then buy one.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:33 AM UTC
Scratchbuilding all the details will be like living in Hell. Not that I'm belittling Fairfax's skills, but there are A LOT of items to do. The railings for one will be hard to scratch build. Stretching sprue will be very difficult. Then there's the aircraft crane. Then the radar. Then, etc. etc. Look at the link I just provided to Fairfax below and see how difficult it'll be to scratch build them.

Fairfax: Have you seen this link already? http://smmlonline.com/reviews/photo_etch/yamato_pe.html It gives a review on the Eduard and GMM PE sheets for the Yamato/Musashi.

Also, have you subscribed at SMML? I received it once then I no longer do. I tried re-subscribing but always get an error message. It's a nice e-mail based forum (unless they've changed) and has lots of tips.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wala ba? Hmmm.... oh well. Why buy when you can scratchbuild? Try doing it first and if it doesn't go the way you wanted, then buy one.

Err...yes...having almost sent our friend to a fruitless "quest", papa scratchbuild mo! hehe! tapos papa-dismantle! wehehehe! 'to talaga o. IMO tho, it would really be a Hercule-an task scratchbuilding a ship. I remember one episode of Ripley's, one guy did a battleship (not sure what scale) made out of popsicle sticks. Hehe!

While on the topic of seaborne vessels, why not check this link out: http://www.flash.net/~rfm/index/contents.html

It's a link to a build-up of the wreck of the RMS Titanic, one of the first modelling sites I found on the internet before. Kakatuwa, and IIRC involves some scratchbuilding, too.

Goodluck!
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 08:03 PM UTC
I've done some scratchbuilding, here & there, mostly for AFV models. I can say that I can do good with that particular scale. I don't think I have the skills and resources (incl. time) to do experimental tinkering on a 1/350 battleship's details. The railing details, to me, look hellish enough. Anyway, thanks again GI! This time for the site. I will try to subscribe. You've been a big help.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:09 PM UTC
Fairfax: No problem. I did my own research as well for my Musashi. I also have some email exchanges about the Tamiya Yamato/Musashi kits, i.e. about the incorrect mast, and some other stuff. If you like, I can forward them to you via emal attached as one .txt file.

Jomz: Now that's a lot of ice cream popsicles he ate! #:-) I meself did my first scratchbuilt models using popsicle sticks. Actually, more like toys rather than models. Glued them together with elmer's glue, and with a knife carved it until I got the shape of a nose. Then added some bits for wings, cockpit - MiG-21! Also did some other popsicle airplane "toys/models." Ah yes, those were the days. And I also built a (very inaccurate hehehehe) aircraft carrier using popsicles (which was eaten in one part by a wood mite - finding the powdery substance made me scared of wood mites and termites since then). Unfortunately, they were a fire hazard as well. Hehehe
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jomz: Now that's a lot of ice cream popsicles he ate! #:-) I meself did my first scratchbuilt models using popsicle sticks. Actually, more like toys rather than models. Glued them together with elmer's glue, and with a knife carved it until I got the shape of a nose. Then added some bits for wings, cockpit - MiG-21! Also did some other popsicle airplane "toys/models." Ah yes, those were the days. And I also built a (very inaccurate hehehehe) aircraft carrier using popsicles (which was eaten in one part by a wood mite - finding the powdery substance made me scared of wood mites and termites since then). Unfortunately, they were a fire hazard as well. Hehehe

Oh my, this reminds me of a project assigned to our class when I was in HS. We had to make any form of structure, figure or whatnot out of matchsticks. During those times, uso pa yung advertisement ni Charles Barkley vs. Godzilla, so me and my partner made a scratchbuilt figure of that 'battle', the whole thing resembled the Eiffel Tower (jointed) when it was finished. One of my classmates did this castle of sorts, sobrang laki, think the size of a movie poster. At the end of the 'quarter' , we lit one end of the castle. Hehe! Nag-mistulang siga-an yung classroom namen.
 _GOTOTOP