_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Working with Resin
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC
How do I work with resin? I wanna do a water and I'm using clear resin but I don't know the procedure on how to work on them. Can anyone help? Also, does clear resin melt away plastic? or melt the paint?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:18 AM UTC
shonen
The stuff in this article is great. I have used it a great deal for a lot of different applications and I have used it as water in different aspects too.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/150
This is the stuff I used in Charlie Fox (Splash Campaign Dio).

It is easy to work with - here are some points to consider
- Add rocks and 'stuff' to the bed first
-Paint the water bed before you pour resin.
- 'Dam'/Encase the entire water bed in some type of barrier that is sealed very well. I use sheet styrene from Evergreen and masking tape. It holds well, does not melt, and 'pop' away from the cured resin very easily. This allowed depth in CF. If you have a large body of water - reinforce the sheets of styrene - there is a bit of shrinkage that will pull the walls in a bit as the resin cures.
- This resin works fine and does not melt sheet styrene, Tamiya injected plastic, Italerie injected plastic (check out CF - that jeeps 1/2 submerged) - I would test whatever plastic you are going to use though first.
- I pour multiple layer with ease and got to about .25" per layer with no problem.
- Coloring the water is a bit tricky - you can use translucent resin dyes - my experiments were not good enough to use in a final dio though. If you want just a base color you would paint each layer as you go with a wash that gets lighter as you go up layers.
- Make sure you glue down all the objects that are supposed to sink or they may float up and ruin the dio.
- I painted the base in a mix of Apple barrel type hobby paints and Tamiya paints and it worked fine. Be careful pushing the resin around though- the moisture did 'loosen' the paint but if I left it alone it was no problem . You can always seal it with some dull coat or something like that.
- You can polish this stuff too. I used aluminum polish and dremel tool with a felt bit on it. I polished with the polish paste and then wiped it off with a qtip.

Any other questions- just post away...
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:42 AM UTC
Wow! Very nice dio! Oh BTW, can I use dye (which is used on coloring shirts) to the resin to look a little bit muddy? How about water color with resin? What kind of water should I mix with resin, cold or hot? What's the ratio of water with resin?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:53 AM UTC
I did try Ritt clothing dye. It worked ok, but I couldn't get a color that I liked. The color choices available to me were limited and the 'wine' color I got was very purple and I just couldn't get a color I liked.
I have not used water color paints with resin so - don't know - it'd be worth a try.

I'm not quite following this question

Quoted Text

What kind of water should I mix with resin, cold or hot? What's the ratio of water with resin?

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 01:04 AM UTC
thanks!
 _GOTOTOP