_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Micro Sol
Dragonfyre14
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 01:28 PM UTC
So I'm having real trouble using this product. I have applied it to several decals that either have to stick to convex surfaces, or sharp corners. When they are wet, they stick beautifully and look great. But as soon as they start drying, they begin pulling away from the surface. I let them dry, then apply another coat as the directions say, but it every case it actually just makes it worse, and I can see even more seperation between the decal and the model. Just what am I doing wrong here?
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 05:47 PM UTC
Andy,

Is the surface to which you're applying the decals painted flat or gloss?

The fact that the decals shrivel and appear to lift is normal - they should be doing that. However, the decals need a slick gloss surface to lay back down properly. If the surface is flat, it is actually covered with microscopic pits and irregularities (this is what imparts the "flat" sheen) and these irregularities will cause drag and may prevent the decal laying down flat (they will often dry wrinkled).

When using a decal setting solution, it's essential that the surface is glossy.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 10:16 PM UTC
Have to agree with Phil. Ive used Micro sol and set for many years and always have results that Im happy with. I spray a coat or two of future first ... and if I can´t do this, I brush paint the area for decaling with future.
I also usea needle that I puncture the wrinkles when it shrivels to add more micro set .... just for saftey´s sake. Hasn´t failed me yet.
 _GOTOTOP