_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
a word of warning about using scalecalc.exe
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 06:56 AM UTC
i decided to look through my anti-virus program history of the actions that it has taken lately .
my program quarantined scalecalcexe. because it has a backdoor in it that is potentially hazardous to your computer .
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
entire network: 2,406 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 10:56 PM UTC
A warning is always good , thanks, but i have it installed since years and have no problem at all (and never any warning from any program)

Claude
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 11:43 PM UTC
It may have been the result of a "drive by" hit by someone. A lot of web sites offering free downloads for specific applications are more a labor of love by the people that put them up so are done on a shoe-string budget. They don't have the finances to support and/or tech savvy themselves to keep their sites from getting hacked and malware implanted. It happens to the big sites, too. The last time I read of a massive attack against websites it involved something like 60,000 sites. You may want to contact the web administrator and let him know.

There are also some cases where anti virus software will err in identifying something as malicious when it actually isn't. I had an issue with a file locker program I use with flash drives that encrypts and password locks the contents so should I ever lose it, the stuff on it is inaccessible. Finally, the company that makes my AV software corrected for it. That's not as common as it once was as anti virus software becomes more focused on behaviors of programs than matching against patterns of identified malware. The advantage is viruses etc, that are still in the wild (not yet identified and catalogued) are less likely to do damage because they get quarantined faster.

Still, better safe than sorry.
 _GOTOTOP