_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
sandpaper wraps on what?
shineofleo
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 10:17 PM UTC
I know put a block of wood under the sand paper can the polishing job easier, or perhaps some other shape like a piece of board, or rod.

But could anyone put some useful idea about how to grab those 'base'? Or ready-to-use part available in the shop? Or useful dimension of the block/rod/any shape?

Thanks!
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 03:26 AM UTC
Hi Leon,
As for the block of wood, I wrap mine all the way around and use a thumb tack to hold it in place. With other shapes I'll use tape, or a spot of glue. It all depends on the size and shape. I have several pre-made shapes to reach tight areas but I can't secure the sand paper to them so I have to cut the paper longer which allows it to wrap around the form so I can hold it with my fingers. Hope that helps. "Q"
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 08:20 AM UTC
I usually wrap the paper all the way around the shape so I can hold the paper in place. Or I use Scotch double sided tape if I can't.
shineofleo
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 04:03 PM UTC
Thanks guys! On the back of Tamiya sand paper package, it illustrates some block with varied shapes and the thumb tack to fix the paper in place.

I may have to create my own blocks but some wood work has to be involved.

Cheers!

Leon
creativemodels
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 28 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 01:43 AM UTC
If you are interested in an alternative to blocks we carry a range of purpose made spring loaded sanding blocks.
They come in three sizes and you just buy spare bands for them.

Modelcraft Sanding Blocks

PunyViking
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 11:44 AM UTC
I found that a block of wood can sometimes be to hard to get a nice surface on the model.

So I went for a treasurehunt in my big toolbox with all my tools for my car. There I found piece of rubber, I don't know what to call it in english, but it's made for applying car body filler. It's basically a block of rubber 5 mm thick. I cut this in variuos small blocks and wrap the sand paper around it, cutting the sandpaper in long strips and gripping it by the paper itself. I have curently 6 different small block of various shapes.
 _GOTOTOP