_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
All those extra parts
LSP_Dave
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 04:22 PM UTC
Here's a question I've pondered more than once over the years, and it pertains to those extra parts (or entire sprues) so often included in model kits. More often than not we can look at the extra parts on sprue X and determine that it means a different variant of the subject is at least planned for some stage down the road. Clearly it allows the manufacturer to save tooling costs. But the question is....

Do we see a savings from this? Or do we end up paying more for the kit since it says it has 600 parts on the box?

Please don't think this an invitation to begin the overall kit pricing debate, as that's not what the intent is. Would a $50.00 kit actually cost $80.00 if it didn't have those extra parts, since the next variant would have to be tooled from scratch? That's the point I'm scratching my head over.

Discuss....
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 06:01 PM UTC
David:

I'm pretty much in the "keep those extra sprues in my kit, Thank You" and "companies do better by making one sprue with parts for both current kits and future versions" school.

I logic things thusly: The actual styrene used in the kit is pretty cheap. A company has a huge investment in engineering each new sprue and set of molds. Making one sprue and its molds serve for several kits is efficient and cost-effective.

If a company anticipates that it MAY release some future version of a vehicle- seems that it would make a great deal of sense to make a sprue with parts to cover into those future kits. The alternatives are to either engineer separate specific sprues and molds for each kit, or clip sprues so that the extra parts are removed and not passed on in the "wrong" kits.

I think that engineering the separate sprues is a sure-fire way to raise production costs of kits. You are axiomatically removing or reducing manufacturing efficiency and increasing the number of production lines or operations to "the maximal extent possible" by doing this- it ensures that you need to do additional moldings for every different kit produced.

There are more than one case in Dragon kits where a "new" kit comes out with almost no new engineering of sprues or molds- the recent Cyber Hobby Sd.Kfz. 250/10? with 3.7cm Pak 36/37 is a good example of this. They combined sprues from several extant old kits and printed a new box. That's pretty efficient!

And about as cheap as producing a "new" kit can get! In contrast, going the "create all new sprues for each new kit" is the maximally expensive route.

From this, I would conclude that kits would be more expensive if the companies went this route.

That other alternative- clipping parts from sprues- also raises costs per kit over simply including the whole sprue even if only a couple of parts will be used. Clipping adds production complexity by adding handling steps. This means both more labour tasks and time, and increased chances of labour error. This means that a kit made up of many trimmed and clipped sprues will be both more complex to prep and pack, cost more in labour, and be more prone to problems of missing sprues and damaged parts resulting from folks clipping stuff. In addition, the company actually needs to dispose of the clipped-off parts- a waste cost. This alternative raises costs, and may well also reduce consumer perception of kit quality. This also increases the need for a support and parts-replacement service... yet more cost per kit.

Way I see it, either route other than "include the spare parts" is more costly, and should logically lead to more expensive kits.

Just my opinion, of course!

Cheers!

Bob
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 09:14 PM UTC
Id agree with Bob. You may be sure, that those extra parts are not in the box so you get extra value ... they are there because thats the cheapest/most economical way of packaging kit X.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 02:11 AM UTC
The lowest cost in the process is the plastic in the sprue.

Main costs are tools, research and transport.

If you look inte Miniart kits there are often the basic sprues for windows etc that are cut off, as the dont want to include the extra bits of that sprue? There must be very low labourcosts to explain that procedure?

Cheers
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 05:14 PM UTC
MiniArt clips their extras off?

Huh. Sometimes straight logic just doesn't cut it!

Maybe it's some sort of post-commie-era hang-over thing; "nope! no extras for anyone, comrade!". OK. Maybe labour is even cheaper over there than in China? Could be one of those make-work projects where you create more jobs just to keep folks employed and getting some sort of pay-check? Ah! Maybe they recycle that styrene! Hmmmm... How about they clip the spares for to send to disadvantaged modelers in "Timbuktu" as part of their public service outreach effort?

Parden me, all! Just having a little late post-beach holiday fun with this!

Seriously, this IS a little strange-seeming. I do find it a little curious that they would do this- it cannot likely save them any money, so... Arguing, for instance, that it does not cost "a lot" to clip doesn't make any business sense of itself- unless it costs NOTHING extra to clip, it is an added cost and MUST make each kit more expensive to produce. Maybe clipping spare parts that are really for an as-of-yet un-revealed new kit could be a strategy to help keep that secret until the release actually occurs? Just a guess, guys!

Just my opines, of course! Bob
LSP_Dave
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
Some good stuff guys! I just wondered if anyone else thought about the marketing side of it when a box says it contains umpteen-hundred parts but you then realize that a goodly chunk of them aren't for the model you're building.
 _GOTOTOP