_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Re-modelling a model.
JokerNinjay
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 07:37 PM UTC
Hi,I was wondering how I could totally re-do a model by taking it back down to individual parts once it was glued together. I have a model that hasn't been completed for a long time and just recently got back to it. I glued this model together when I was younger and found it to be a giant learning curve as it wasn't glued together due tp my young age. Some of the parts are also misguided and was wondering how I can "un-glue" it and take it all the back apart and just get a fresh start on it. Any ideas please let me know thanks.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 01:19 AM UTC
I've heard using the freezer and help undo the old glue but you can try taking it apart 1st to see what is stubborn and what's not....one of my current rehabs has half the stuff clinging on for dear life while the rest simply popped right off. This will sound odd, but things like glass and tiny parts seem to hold on the best since they're in critical areas, but maybe it's just the model doesn't like me for taking it apart?!
Old/bad chrome can be primed and redone with alclad II chrome and that would be a great time to sand any seems off before redoing said chrome - glass can be wet sanded to remove any old scratches or glue marks then buffed back to clear{use future to seal and give a nice gloss} - body work, just like a 1-1 resto, is a matter of repairing anything bad and/or sanding. Oh, I've used castrol super cleaner or purple power to strip the body clean of old paint without harming the plastic. You'll need an old toothbrush or small hand brush to get the majority off and a pick for the seems around the doors/trunk and trim. Go slow and take your time......
 _GOTOTOP