_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Other Sites
Place your announcements here please.
Is a detail oriented thread right for you?
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 09:30 AM UTC
I have noted on some sites that when someone provided detail not generally known on a particular subject there usually follows someone who espouses the "right to just have fun". Generally speaking forums are for sharing info and displaying images that provoke responses. If I respond with a detail on a build, it always seems someone (not usually the builder) calls it "nitpicking"and goes into a speech against "übermodeling".

While modeling is a hobby some people enjoy the details and adding a bit more to a build. That is why we are here right? Everyone has the right in a forum to respond (within tasteful limits) to any post. Note, said nitpicking may be blunt but never slanderous. And not wanting to take myself too serious here. But I don't seem to get it when someone joins a thread to minimize the help another offers.

Feel free to fire away.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 09:42 AM UTC
I don't believe it is the provision of knowledge that starts an issue, it is when someone doesn't utilise that information and is put down for not doing this or that that a conflict begins between the fun verse accuracy sides.
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
I don't feel nitpicking is bad in the since of constructive criticism.I do feel that there are few on here that forget what modeling is and look for that golden kit that has no issues once so ever (dosnt exist) and because of something they read or hear about the kit they tell others not to build it.then why are they modlers if they don't want to fix a simple thing like moving an antenna that's in the wrong place .I just feel there are some that ruin it for the newer modlers that join the site and pose the question what kit should I buy on this subject.they in turn reply with 10 different kits and point out every little thing that is wrong with them and tell them not to buy.How do they learn then?

Ok I'm done now,
Keeper
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 11:51 AM UTC
Everybody should model for themselves ... add what they want or build OOB. Theres nothing wrong with either.
If somebody clearly states at the beginning of a build they are building OOB, theres not much point adding in information about small unknown details and pointing out misses on obscure details. If its clearly a build where the builder is adding AM and scratching details and trying to improve the base model, thats the appropriate thread, and doing it a service. IMO, theres also people who start following the thread for the info exchange and not so much the ongoing build.

There will always be those who like to show how much they know and point out small misses and there will be those who may feel intimadated, but if all show a little respect for the thread and posters, there shouldn´t be any problems. If somebody jumps in with their two-pence whether its useful information or not, and dont show any respect for the thread, they dont deserve any in return either. I wouldn´t worry too much about them.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 12:03 PM UTC
I'm here to learn more about the subjects I have a keen interest in and learning about them , sharing what I know as to info and methods and tips . In general , just trying to help folks out the best I can with what I have .

Some sites are starting to ruin this for me for though , when you open a thread and someone is nic-piking about some ones work or comment . When constructive criticism is giving about a build to what is wrong or missing I find it to be helpful with my future builds and what other ref's I will need in the future .
On the other side nitpicking is interpreted differently by folks as well leading to hasty arguments over small things .
This is the kind of actions which destroyed the IMPS club here in Edmonton . Every one left becuase of this, now it's just a group of nitpickers nitpicking amoung themselfs .

From some of the comments I have read , the " builder " never though of it in the way , sometimes they learn things they didn't know before and will say so , asking even more questions .

drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 12:14 AM UTC
I guess that there are fashions in modelling just like for any other human activity.

Of course it is allowed to "just have fun", as it is allowed to "count every rivet" or "throw half of the kit away" in favor of aftermarket resin.

I am often reluctant to give comments on kits or questions on the forums becasue i do not value my own skills and knowledge too highly so i try to remain humble.

Still, if i feel that i can constructively contribute, I will and then I speak up, try to remain polite, but also without worrying too much that someone could interprete what I say wrongly.

I do find it important that kits are made with respect to detail and decent finish. after all, modelling is about representing a real thing in scale and more or less historical correctness is important (at leaast for me).

For the same reason I do not follow the current habit of emphasising panel lines or rivets. I have already taken thousands of pictures of real jets and never seen one where each panel was surrounded by a dark grey or black line.

However, i have no problems that other modellers have a different view on this.

Finally, if you broadcast your views or models on a forum, you should be prepared to accept the comments of others and not be offended when they don't agree, have another view, or simply porve that you have made a mistake;

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 04:14 AM UTC
I will take any info provided by a poster,provided it is given in the spirit of helping out.Then I sort it out,if I can make use of it, I apply it,if it is beyond my abilities or desires,then I will just pass on it.Feedback and encouragement of any kind,is better then being ignored.I have posted on some sites asking for feedback and have been totally ignored,even though I myself have contributed to the forum.Not here though,any feedback is humbly accepted and put to use if I can.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
I am definitely in the "count every rivet" category. I don't mind that people don't build the way I do, but I want every possible scrap of hard data I can get on the subject and then I will make the call on what I add to my model.

If someone derides another for not adding this or that detail, then the derider needs to be brought to task for that behaviour (i..e. the derisive attitude). But sometimes the mere stating of facts that are related to the subject at hand brings on those who say that it is nitpicking to simply recount historical facts. When that happens, then those people need to be brought to task because there are some of us who dearly want to know exactly how wide a tire should be or how thin a plate should be or just how many thou too thick a kit part is. Once I konw the facts it is up to me to be happy with just how much of that information I reflect on my model.

Paul
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am definitely in the "count every rivet" category. I don't mind that people don't build the way I do, but I want every possible scrap of hard data I can get on the subject and then I will make the call on what I add to my model.

If someone derides another for not adding this or that detail, then the derider needs to be brought to task for that behaviour (i..e. the derisive attitude). But sometimes the mere stating of facts that are related to the subject at hand brings on those who say that it is nitpicking to simply recount historical facts. When that happens, then those people need to be brought to task because there are some of us who dearly want to know exactly how wide a tire should be or how thin a plate should be or just how many thou too thick a kit part is. Once I konw the facts it is up to me to be happy with just how much of that information I reflect on my model.

Paul

I guess we are more or less in the same corner.

What is your view on emphasising panel lines and rivets (to the level that on scale they appear like huge 36 mm bolts instead of rivets)?
 _GOTOTOP