_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
OOB builds?
JokerNinjay
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 04:46 AM UTC
Ok I'm hoping this is the right forum for this and if not I'm sorry. What is the difference between OOB and the other "kind". I'm not exactly sure what the other kind is but I hope someone here will. Thanks, Jay.
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 04:53 AM UTC
OOB stands for "out of the box".

It means that you are using the parts and decals as available in the kit and do not replace pieces with aftermarket cockpits, or wheels, or afterburners....

OOB can allow (but ususally does not) a small amount of scratchbuilding.

the "othr kind of modelling" is where yuo buy a kit, throw half of it in the dustbin in favour of aftermarket decals, cockpits, canopies, ejection seats...

In some cases this si a pure waste of time and money as for many planes, once the model is finalised the interior of the cockpit is almost invisible.

In other cases the aftermarket stuff provides great added detail and value to the model.

it is up to you really (and the size of your wallet) aftermarket stuff can be very expensive.

I ususlly stick to OOB with a lot of attention only to buy high quality kits
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 10:42 AM UTC

As Drabslab says it means out of the box.
Unless you're entering competitions where it is a category I'd forget about it and have some fun.
The "other kind" of modelling is where you do what you want with your kit and your money.
Whereas adding aftermarket pieces can seem like a waste of time to the viewer it never is to the builder who gets a great sense of accomplishment out of putting interiors and engines etc together wheteher they will be seen in the final model or not
Other modellers are content to build OOB and are more interested in painting and finshing techniques.

I have a foot in both camps.

When I build Shermans I use a lot of aftermarket PE and Resin- this is why I never finish them but I tend to build my other interests- German SPGs straight out of the box or with a little scratchbuilding- which I'm glad to know is allowed
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

you are using the parts and decals as available in the kit and do not replace pieces with aftermarket cockpits, or wheels, or afterburners....

The OOB, or OOTB, class in most contests I've attended does allow for aftermarket decals to be used.
JokerNinjay
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 05:32 PM UTC
Ok there is one thing I'd like to ask you personally instead of just posting another forum post. You say you do alot of Shermans? I have a Dragon M4A3 Sherman 105mm HVS what do you think about this specific model pertaining to aftermarket supplies?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 06:36 AM UTC
Jay,

You ask "what do you think about this specific model pertaining to aftermarket supplies?"

What exactly are you asking? Do you want to know what is available for this kit? Do you want to know what is needed to bring it up to a certain level of accuracy? Do you want opinions of supplliers of certain kinds of aftermarket details? It would be easier to answer if the question was a little more specific.

There are many resin, photo etched and injection moulded detail parts availabel for this kit (or that are applicable to any sherman). Plus there are many aftermarket decal sets that woould work as well. What are you most interested in? With the right parts and the right research, I'm sure you could build pretty much any exact vehicle you can find the reference photos for with the right combination of aftermarket parts & markings.

Ask ( a little more specifically) and you shall receive.

Paul
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok there is one thing I'd like to ask you personally instead of just posting another forum post. You say you do alot of Shermans? I have a Dragon M4A3 Sherman 105mm HVS what do you think about this specific model pertaining to aftermarket supplies?

Isent you a PM rather tyhan post here but thought of this afterwards. There's a fairly comprehensive review list on PMMS of Sherman Kits and aftermarket parts. A lot of them have probably been reviewed here on Armorama as well but this list is a good place to start
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/subject/sherman.htm
JokerNinjay
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 07:38 PM UTC
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this as I've been preoccupied. I was wondering with this kit do I need aftermarket parts at all to make it realistic?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was wondering with this kit do I need aftermarket parts at all to make it realistic?

I donīt know much about Shermans, but one thing Im sure of is that buying aftermarket items wont make it automatically a better model. Thats down to your own skills, ability and experience.
If you are new to models, Id recommend concentrating on whats in the box, and focus more on the painting and weathering. This is where the level of realism is captured. Small details that may be missed because you didnt add aftermarket, will only be noticed by 1% of the viewing public, who know their Shermans. 100% will see poor painting and un-natural/un-realistic weathering.
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was wondering with this kit do I need aftermarket parts at all to make it realistic?

I donīt know much about Shermans, but one thing Im sure of is that buying aftermarket items wont make it automatically a better model. Thats down to your own skills, ability and experience.
If you are new to models, Id recommend concentrating on whats in the box, and focus more on the painting and weathering. This is where the level of realism is captured. Small details that may be missed because you didnt add aftermarket, will only be noticed by 1% of the viewing public, who know their Shermans. 100% will see poor painting and un-natural/un-realistic weathering.

Hi Jay ,

This may not be the answer you are looking for and not every one is going to agree, but I think Frank has hit the nail on the head. I have seen some 30 year old kits look a lot better than a new kit just because of the skill of the modeller.

Pat has pointed out a couple of places to reseach the kit, this and other sites are a great help.

Just have fun with it.

Regards,
Rod
 _GOTOTOP