_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Help Cutting Circles
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
I am trying to scratch build a bulkhead and need to know how to cut a circle out of styrene stock. Please help.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 02:13 AM UTC
Matt,

For cutting holes, I use a high quality drafting compass with two SHARP points (the pivot being a stepped point to minimize the center hole).

You can use the same compass to make circles, but you will have to fill/cover the center hole.

To make circles/disks, you could use a punch for smaller circles, or a circle template with a scribe.

You can also purchase circle cutters, too.

I hope this helps...
panzerdoc
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 147 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 01:59 PM UTC
I have not had good consistent success with the method described above. I highly recommend investing in a good punch and die set for any serious scratch builder. There are sets available that go up to 3-4 cm circles down to fractions of a mm. You can get perfect holes if that is what you want or the discs. Some of the nicer ones will even cut thin brass sheeting. What size holes are you trying to make and what thickness of styrene?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hey Alex,
Here a simple way I go about cutting out circle disc, trace out the diameter in pencil, then using your hobby knife cut lines next to close to the pattern, but leaving the pencil line.

Then just sand down to your pencil line. This can be done in just about all diameters and thickness of most plastic.

Works very well.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 10:54 PM UTC
I have used all the methods above with mixed results (all due to User [me])
I have also used a circle template I got from an office store. I use a dental tool to scribe an inital outline of the circle, then I use a knife and slowly cut it out.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
Bieng a drafter (and learning on the board) I've used circle templates and a Compass with a modified pencil holder (modified to hold a xacto blade) with OK success.
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC
But what about really tiny circles? Like about 1mm or 2mm in diameter?

Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 08:03 AM UTC
I found a very easy way to cut perfect circles from all kinds of material. It cost me $10 from Michael's. And, oddly enough, it's called a circle cutter. Thanks for all the tips.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 10:18 AM UTC
For tiny ones I use a punch. Got it at Michaels in the jewelry/leatherworking area.

You can also make one
Read this feature
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 11:28 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice Scott. But, by the time you do the work scratch-building a punch; might as well go to Harbor Freight and buy their set for $10. The hold and fold, I can get for $16 and I have steel rod and a set of pliers for making grab handles.
panzerdoc
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
For smaller circles or holes the walther's and micromark punch sets are well worth the money. Compared to a circle cutter or trying to cut styrene rod is certainly cheaper but the time saved and the use you will get out of a good punch set
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC
I'll have to look into one of those punch sets.

Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For smaller circles or holes the walther's and micromark punch sets are well worth the money. Compared to a circle cutter or trying to cut styrene rod is certainly cheaper but the time saved and the use you will get out of a good punch set

You can afford at least two sets of punches from Harbor Freight for what you would be paying for one from walther's and micromark.
panzerdoc
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC
The harbor freight set (http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-punch-and-die-set-95547.html) looks really well done but I don't see that they have anything smaller. For the really small stuff you can't beat the micro mark and walthers set. Good luck with circles!
dragnink
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 43 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 06:27 PM UTC
For large circles, you could use a compass.. another good option it's OLFA's circle cutter. The method of rough cuts around it before sanding is a good option too.

For small circles, maybe try some small sections of K&S or similar brass tubing (with very thin walls) in different widths, then tap it with a hammer to drive it through the styrene.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 03:08 AM UTC
Thanks. I have already bought a circle cutter and found it to be invaluable. A note on the harbor freight punches; they don't have one small enough for rivets or bolts.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 05:01 AM UTC
Yeah, that harbor freight punch set block only goes down to .121{hole is .122} so anything smaller would have to be a truely micro punch set. As for me, the larger circles are done with a scribe and a circle template or to pull out the compass and draw then cut out what I need. A compass isn't too stable in the way of a side load, so dragging a scribing tip or blade hasn't ever worked out for me....drifts in or out of the line.
Evergreen{I think} makes all sorts of pull type punch sets for metal but they require a drilled hole for the pull bolt to go thru so a solid sheet circle would be impossible with those.
radish1us
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 8 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 10:21 PM UTC
You lot are joking, aren't you, you just got to be pulling my leg me with this lot?

For any smaller holes in styrene, haven't you ever heard of a drill.

If you really want to be an absolute cheapskate, then go buy some of them el-cheapo small screwdriver sets, then just sharpen them like an old style jewellers spade drill. Now you got a set of drills from say, 0.8 mm right up to 3.8 mm.

If the look of the round hole doesn't quite suit you, then just use a round file to make it whatever shape you so desire, it sure aint brain surgery your talking about here.

So why all this consternation about mini punches, why not use a bloody drill when it gets that small.

regards radish
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 11:41 AM UTC
i think drill bits would work for making holes , and punches would work if you want the circles .
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You lot are joking, aren't you, you just got to be pulling my leg me with this lot?

If you really want to be an absolute cheapskate, then go buy some of them el-cheapo small screwdriver sets, then just sharpen them like an old style jewellers spade drill. Now you got a set of drills from say, 0.8 mm right up to 3.8 mm.

If the look of the round hole doesn't quite suit you, then just use a round file to make it whatever shape you so desire, it sure aint brain surgery your talking about here.

So why all this consternation about mini punches, why not use a bloody drill when it gets that small.

regards radish

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That would be fine if I didn't want the circle. However, the whole point is to make a circle. Drills don't do that.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

regards radish

I think you've confused drilling round holes with a drill, and making circles or disks with a punch set. The idea is to keep the disk in a usable circle format for use, not simply bore a hole in the plastic.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 02:10 AM UTC
Thanks Dave. I couldn't have said it better.
 _GOTOTOP