_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Panda models?
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
entire network: 762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 08:39 PM UTC
Just wonder if anyone knows anything about this company? I don't know anything except they are somehow involved with Dragon.

The reason I'm asking is that I found their catalog, and there they listed a Swedish Strv 122 in 1/35, so if they aren't to bad it might be worth getting one, once it is released.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 08:50 PM UTC
I think that they made a huge Huey helo, and I think and am not sure, the helo was pretty well made. I think that Panda might be a good company, from my expiriance I have heard of them, but never actually build one of their models. Maybe someone else has on this site.

Their web address is http://www.pandamodels.com/

~Chip

:-)
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:06 PM UTC
ThomasB, Panda is a good company!!!! I'm building their Burke class DDG!!! It's nice. I spent 4 years on one of the class, so I'm a little hash about details in a kit that was mastered off of photographs from about 100 yards away from the ship!!! But for the casual observer its dead on and has some nice easy assemblies!!! I'd say give them a chance STUG
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:45 PM UTC
Ok, then I know, will give the kit a try as soon as it's released. Nice that some companies give out some goodies for us swedes.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC
There is a rumour floating about that Panda are threatening us with the FV430 series of british AFV's.I for one hope they do because i fancy a Fv432 Trojan,FV433 Abbot and FV434 ARV and can't afford resin kits.
Just my little offering
Peter
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 12:32 AM UTC
Panda has some ok helos out in 1/35th scale and a very ambitious list of kits to come.
Much like early Trumpeter stuff, many of their announced kits are available only in resin already and I wonder if a little 'borrowing' is going to happen.

I am excited for their helos, Tunguska, and British APCs. Since no one else is doing or is likely to do them.

Having said that, and having just finished building their UH1D, the molding is a bit on the heavy side and since it seems it is a scaled up Italeri 1/48th Huey the level of detail is nothing near as good as the MRC Uh1C's.

BUT it is the only slick out there these days.

I'm also looking forward to the predator unmanned vehicle series they have announced.

So, bottom line is they are not Tamiya, new DML, or TriStar, but look how far DML has come even in just the last couple of years.

I give them a C+ for effort and future possibilities.

Mike
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a rumour floating about that Panda are threatening us with the FV430 series of british AFV's.I for one hope they do because i fancy a Fv432 Trojan,FV433 Abbot and FV434 ARV and can't afford resin kits.
Just my little offering
Peter

They are not just threatening, there are a lot of british AFV's listed in their catalogue.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 03:26 AM UTC
I have their X-35. It is resonably well molded. Detail is a liitle sparse and one or two points in the instructions are somewhat unclear. But, it is the only one on the block and is reasonably well done. I would give it a B+
capnjock
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 08:07 AM UTC
I've got their UH1-D kit. Not quite as good as the MRC stuff, but real close (no motor) It filled a critical nitch lacking in the MRC line. I'm pleased with my purchase
mavrick1124
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:04 PM UTC
Built the UH-1D they have out , and my son has done the UH-1N. Ok for the price, and not too shabby on the fits. Glad to see someone with a list of future releases like theirs. Good stuff and filling to voids of other companies out there.
mavrick1124
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:07 PM UTC
Oh , by the way. Someone had posted about decals being a problem. I had the same trouble out of their UH-1D kit. But the UH-1N my son built was great. No decal probs at all. looked very nice done .
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh , by the way. Someone had posted about decals being a problem. I had the same trouble out of their UH-1D kit. But the UH-1N my son built was great. No decal probs at all. looked very nice done .

That might have been me, unless someone else has had the same trouble..

The 1/7 sabers decal all but disintegrated in the water and the door handles , even when trimmed, had HUGE THICK carrier film. They really stood out from the kit. Even putting them on over a futured surface did not help.
They pulled right up with a bit of low tack tape too..

Nice kit, crummy decals.

Mike
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:13 AM UTC
You mean this panda?

Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC
PM go to Panda Models link in one of the earlier posts. They have some pretty good photos of it there.
mavrick1124
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:07 PM UTC
Phantom, I have some pics in Dioramas Gallery. It' is in Aircraft Dio's . It was me that had trouble out of the decals on the UH-1D. They stunk up the kit. But the UH-1N declas were ok, not great but did not fall apart in the water.
 _GOTOTOP