_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Commissions
Loobes
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi All,
I am interested in getting a few commissions - as in building the models. A few questions. Where would I attract business for such a thing and How?Would you charge an hourly rate? If so how much?
Cheers

Loobes
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 03:18 AM UTC
I do commissions all the time (3 lined up right now). Mine have all been by word of mouth or from exposure here. As to pricing, there is no rule. I tend to charge less than most though. I am not out to make a killing at it. I enjoy it and as long as I am covering the supplies and a bit extra for the time, I am good. I usually charge 2-3 times the cost of the model for a straight out of the box build on a simple wooden base. For extras such as resin conversions, I add twice the cost of the resin set. For figures, I add aout $5 per figure plus the cost of the figure. If it is a diorama, I come up with a price I feel is fair for what I have to do. The buyer and I come to an agreement on the price before I start and I require half payment up front. The rest is due when it is completed and before I ship it off.

Hope that helps and good luck.
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 - 06:09 AM UTC
Like any business venture you need to advertise. You need to answer some basic questions...who are you and why would I hire you? What kind of work and of what quality? Have you been recognized such as featured in a magazine, received awards?

There are a lot of "Professional" model builders out there selling their services. Just cruise eBay sometime to see some of those who crank out kits of varying quality and price points...some will amaze you to both extremes.

Commission building can be a real pain in the . Starts off amicable then towards the end the customer has remorse or just has a different perception of value. Contracts! Write it all out before you commit to even sniffing the plastic.

There are customers out there who have more money than time and talent to build, so they seek out those who need the money and have the time and talent. Again you advertise...a good website with solid SEO content. Let Google be your friend to drive customers to your door.
 _GOTOTOP