_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Future substitute?
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 09:24 AM UTC
I can't find Future anywhere, even under the new name (Pledge Premium with Future Shine?). I have Windex readily available at my place, and I can also go out and buy the classic Pledge wipes/spray or their multi-surface cleaner. Can any of these be used, or am I forever plagued with smeared canopies?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 10:19 AM UTC
Rob the product is not rare you are just not looking hard enough. Now tell the wife, girlfriend, significant other that if they get you some you will do something they have been pestering you to do for ages, then sit back and as if by magic it will appear.
Loobes
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 09:43 PM UTC
Not really a substitute, but is is still widely avaliable - in the UK anyway. Look onl9iine and in every store that might sell it and you will find a few bottles
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 10:32 PM UTC
What? You're telling me Ohio has no future? (Sorry - couldn't resist the pun!)

Seriously, look in supermarket "housewares" isles or the likes of Wallyworld. Future is an acrylic liquid coating, so replacing it with Windex is a no-no. (The only Windex I know of is an ammonia-based glass cleaner that will eat acrylic model paints!) If you're just looking to polish up canopies try getting hold of some plastic polish - it's a stupidly-fine grit paste used to literally polish scratches off of plastic surfaces. I use some on my model train windows, and have managed to "restore" some pretty bad examples with a little elbow-grease.

Good luck on the search!

Tom
brentwal
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 100 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 02:21 PM UTC
I just bought a new bottle two weeks ago at my local ACE Hardware, they can order one bottle at a time so even a special order isn't any problem.

ACE Stock # 11182

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1340324&kw=pledge&origkw=pledge&searchId=49020724734
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 02:45 PM UTC
Brent, I just went to Ace today and bought a 27 oz bottle for the price that I found a 4 oz bottle (at a hobby shop) online. Now if I can only figure out how to use the darmn stuff...
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brent, I just went to Ace today and bought a 27 oz bottle for the price that I found a 4 oz bottle (at a hobby shop) online. Now if I can only figure out how to use the darmn stuff...

Here you go Robby. I got started with this: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html. Cheers -- Tat

eseperic
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 624 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob the product is not rare you are just not looking hard enough. Now tell the wife, girlfriend, significant other that if they get you some you will do something they have been pestering you to do for ages, then sit back and as if by magic it will appear.

Hi,

I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and opportunities to find modeling stuff are quite limited. I purchase all of my items online, but I still haven't found any dealer ready to ship Future/Klear to B&H. I am ready to pay fair price to any modeler who is willing to share some of his own wonder-maker fluid. I can pay through paypal, and I would appreciate any help offered in order to find a bottle or two?
 _GOTOTOP