_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
1/48th M113acv made from trash
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 04:57 PM UTC
I'm taking a break from figures, just long enough to work on a project that's been nagging me for years. Below are the results of a couple of weeks of work on a 1/48 m113ACV using nothing but trash plastics and sprue. The main body is made from a red coated plastic sheet that was a holiday sign at Circuit City. The main portion of the commanders copula is an old aircraft cowling, The wheels are sprue cast from a master that was turn from an aircraft wheel, The armored side for the copula are made from two pieces of a 1/32d aircraft drop tanks, to make a master then two pieces were cast from sprue,also picture is a 1/35th m113acv that bit the dust years ago, a copy of the US Army's -20 manual that has exploded views of almost every part of the M113 n last is a proportional do dad I picked up years ago while in the Army,Have it set to scale down 1/35Th to 1/48 and then using the Tamaya m113 as my main reference. I'll keep you updated as I progress. The final piece will end up in a Diorama, some day

P.S. don't try counting nuts and bolts, because there aren,t any.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 12:23 PM UTC
very ambitious project idea. You mention an exploded view drawings. Do you plan a full interior as well?

captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
Not on this one: I plan to have it set in a movement to contact, which would pretty much shut the APC up. but I,ve made molds of the major parts so in the future I plan to do more.
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 04:50 PM UTC
Had to come and have a look see at this Anthony - great so far
(brings back memories of the late 70's when dad and I Tried to do one)

Ian
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 02:13 PM UTC
Here is this weeks progress. you can see the boby of the APC is taking shape, little detail parts have been made, such all the road wheels, and others wheels mud covers MG mount, about half the tracklinks, and that big mulyicolored thing at the left will become the base for the Dio.

captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 03:20 PM UTC
Here is whats happened with this APC in the last three weeks.

As you can see most of the APC's construction is complete, and know I'm working on the details,Added the engine grills, antenna caps, the Armour shielding , 50cal. and smoke grenades to the copula also shown are misc details parts IE jerrycans ammo boxes, and C rat boxes. Additionally worked on the cargo compartment M60 mounts, M60's, and shields

Here is a top view of where I'm at with this Scratch building project.
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:57 AM UTC
Tony great looking job so far mate and to be honest the thought of making track links would put me off something like this but I am glad you have at last decided to do this project. Looks like you have put a lot of work in so far and it all looks very neat and tidy.
Some of your 1/48 sculpted figures would look great in this.

look forward to seeing more of this mate

take care mate

Steve
 _GOTOTOP